Loop pedals in a "live" application

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:12 am
by walleyedave • 37 Posts

I am always amazed at how much knowledge I can receive by reading ALL the different posts and opinions on here. Does anyone use a loop pedal in a live application??? I play in a 1 geetar band, and when its time to solo, i would "sometimes" like to have a rythym track underneath. Also, I think just some simple textures would be good here and there, but Im just not sure if while playing live, you could get away with it and still be in time??? And playing to a click trck is absolutely out of the question! Has anyone had success doing this, and if so,,what brand looper did you use??? Thanks!

Rob Schmalzbach does - ask him!

Last edited Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:42 pm | Scroll up

RE: Loop pedals in a "live" application

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:02 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Id like to know more also!

Even just to goof around at home.

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:21 am
by walleyedave • 37 Posts

FRaKh,,,I actually bought a boss rc-20 since my last post. Got it on craigs list for a bill. I think i have this whole idea figured out, with the help of my friend joe, who has teched for limp bizkit, 311, foo fighters etc etc. The first drawback is that when looping live(with my band), if they are not getting loud guitar in their monitors, it is hard for them to stay in time whem im using loops. The other problem, which was huge, was this. If you place the looper in front of your pedalboard, you are at the mercy of having either clean, or distorted loops, because the signal picks up the most currently selected effect, ie chorus, flange, delay, overdrive. My friend suggested using an a/b box and running one amp clean, another distorted. I have 3 rigs, so i tried it, and It really was a blast using this setup. I have a stereo 4x12 cab with v-30's i it that i can use, instead of running two separate cabs. I'm not sold on whether i want to risk using it live yet, but Im still a looper virgin, but I think If a person figured out the ticks, you could do some amazing shit. Time will tell, maybe Im wrong. But as far as using it to create Riffs etc on the fly, This thing is priceless. As a practice tool, it is great. You can also feed cds into it and slow down solos in pitch, which is cool. From my studies, I think most guys that loop live are using the boomerang phrase sampler, instead of boss. I think it sucks tone out of a tube amp. Theres my 2 cents, hope someone else can shed more light on this, like i said, having something for 3 days doesnt make an expert of me. For all i know, Im completely wrong about everything.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:18 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Oh man....sounds like tons of fun!

Right now all I have is my cyber and a guitar. I...most of the time....use the delay as sort of a sampler...and then play as fast as I can over the delay...lol. I used to have a bunch of cool effects. But then I lent them out to friends..and...well...I was young...they came back burnt out or in a bag.

I have always wanted to try a sampler. Imagine the Bach arrangements to try!!! One day FRaKh will buy.
We don't need both Kidneys......no???

The a/b idea sounds goodt. That would be a big problem to not be able to have several different backgrounds going on. That would bug me too.

Next time I'm next to a Guitar Center I'm going to try it out!

Thanx!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
180 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly