Ornamentation of the different styles...

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:00 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Hey guys,

I thought it would be cool if we had a topic on the things that makeup each genre of music, guitar wise(the guitar player's perspective) though.

Because every style of music makes use of the same 12 notes, but it's the ornamentation that makes each genre sound how it does.

Each of us could tell what we think a genre entails, like what you notice; I'm curious to see what you all think of each genre. Even if someone already did a genre, post your thoughts on it, it's good to see what other people notice/think about it. Whether these things are universal to many styles of music or just in this particular style post em'!

I can't wait to hear Pebber's thoughts! :D

I guess I'll do blues:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLUES

Makes heavy use of bends, slides, vibrato, hammer-ons and pulloffs.

Mixes Major and minor pentatonics together, and also adds the b5 for that blues scale sound.

b3 is almost always bent up to the 3 in a Major blues.

Guitar is used in call and response with singer, "a la" B.B King.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot more for sure, but those are the main things that I personally think and hear in Blues guitarists.

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl et's face it, You suck; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 494 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly