Beginner to classical technique - LH Ladders before tackling Spiders?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm
by PapaH • 8 Posts

This is my first post, so first off thanks to PB for this awesome resource. It's great to find a lesson plan that's based on realistic, fundamentally sound, thorough instruction, without all the bullshit.

I'm new to classical guitar technique. I'm finding that I'm able to tackle the ladder exercises with some success, but the spiders completely shut me down. I'm sorely lacking the ability to coordinate the simultaneous multiple finger movements, even at a snail's pace.

My question is - is there's any physical merit to building some strength and flexability with the ladders before starting a strong regiment of spider practice?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll up

RE: Beginner to classical technique - LH Ladders before tackling Spiders?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:32 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

How low does your metronome go if you have to start at 40bpm quarter note one note per beat for the spiders

try Pebbers isometrics for flexibility here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjt0XNxIp4

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 am
by PapaH • 8 Posts

Thanks for the isometric link, appreciate it.

I made some progress this morning spending an hour just working on 1-23-4 and 12-34. After spending a lot of time focusing on each movement seperately (meaning 2/3, back and forth between 2 strings, about 100 reps, then 1/4 between 2 strings at 100 reps), coordinating the two movements together came a bit easier.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:44 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

Spiders are not strength dependant, its a brain coordination issue.

Just do them insanely slow, your ladders will benefit way more from your spiders than your spiders from your ladders.
Oh and try not to tense up too much when controlling those nasty fingers ;), ideally you want to be able to perform everything with as much relaxation as possible.

Do the 1,3 - 2,4 everyday.. progress will come sooner than what you might think, afterwards the rest of the spiders are a piece of cake :)

Last edited Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:49 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
65 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly