in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

-Ursin

Last edited Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 pm | Scroll up

RE: Major Scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 18, 2013 4:00 am
by Justip • 47 Posts

Hi Ursin
Good Video, been working on the CAGED system for about 3 months. As usual been trying to substitute "homemade runs" from the C Shape Major scale with the D shape Major Pentatonics instead of playing the actual major chords. So the I am finding the C shape very valuable and raking the D minor 7ths into the F Major then of to a D shape G Major then of to a A Shape G Major or G Minor, a frequent occurrence with a down rake strum up rake strum, down strum rake but I don't know if that is the best use for the scales since the chords are a mix of the minors and majors

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 18, 2013 7:02 am
by uderoche (deleted)

It's good to create and work on ideas. Often we get stuck in ruts just working on the scales to a metronome but this is all meant to help you CREATE and play ideas, licks, phrases, improv, etc. More later. Thanks

-Ursin
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Hey Ursin,
I never understood the actual reasoning behind why one might want to tune to Eb. Since you do (you sounded like Ab major to me), can I ask what your reasoning behind this was? Is it because you cover or perform your own stuff written in a key that's easier to play Eb-tuning? To hit just a single extra note? To better play in a singers preferred key(s); why is it easier? For better tone?

Also, thanks for another video. When you decide your students are getting pretty comfortable with the major scale shapes and moving between them, what do you typically ask them to do as a next step with that scale? Do you give them particular progressions and tell them to experience the different sounds the (modes of the) scale can make over different changes (Goodrick style)? How would you teach this in a rock setting? Or would you tell such a student switch to learning a new scale instead?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 19, 2013 5:28 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Ursin, awesome, thanks for the answer.

Listening to SRV about 20 years ago got me off the couch to get a job so that I could buy my first guitar and the Texas Flood tab book. So yeah, like millions of others, that Eb sound grabs me too.

With respect to your scale advice, I believe I'm on the right track and will keep chugging (beers too).

-Damon

PS. Go Gators

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 19, 2013 7:47 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Bro, we have a live tiger on campus! C'mon dude!!! I will say that the Florida fans are some of the better fans in the SEC. Classy when you go over to The Swamp. Can't say that about LSU. Sometimes we ACT A FOOL!!!!! Alabama fans are the worst. Seriously. They believe they have won, like, 27 National Championships. You can't talk to these people. More on that later. I'm ready for football season.

-Ursin
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 19, 2013 3:54 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

I'm a hardcore Dolphins fan too so Alabama is doubly sh!tty to me due to Nick Saban, who basically screwed the Phins a few seasons back. Can't wait for the season to start. The Gators are coming to me this year when they play the Hurricanes. I have to give the Canes crowd the worst fans ever award. Living in S. Florida during their 90s heyday was just unbearable. YouTube some of the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Canes if you don't remember how in-your-face they were. But yeah, F the Tide.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 19, 2013 8:26 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Yeah! I've seen those ESPN docs on the Canes. THE U!

-Ursin
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 23, 2013 3:21 pm
by Chris • 20 Posts

I'm working on the CAGED system, I've never tried learning scales before so this may be a daft question.... Starting position 1 is the G major, moving up to position 2, is that still G major but just played further up the neck?.... Guess by my question I'm trying to understand what the connection is between root notes and shapes..

... jack of all trades, master of none!
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 23, 2013 3:28 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Yes. The CAGED system as outlined in Pebber's pdf file is in the key of G major. You should be able to easily transpose it to whichever key you choose by moving the root note.

-Ursin
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 25, 2013 5:27 pm
by chacal • 19 Posts

Early Van Halen is tuned to Eb. According to Guthrie Govan it was because Eddie would tune off of the bass player before they had a keyboardist.

If you are not thinking about the guitar every 30 seconds then you are not concentrating.

Last edited Sat May 25, 2013 5:28 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:26 pm
by Justip • 47 Posts

this is most likely a very dumm question.
All the major scale shapes going through from the Caged system through to the 12 position system(with the interval replacement ecxeption on the 12 position). Scince they all start on a different intervals of the major scale, If I move the different shapes and play them in one place, say the 3rd fret, do those positions then start to form the major scale modes at the 3rd fret?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:13 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

Hey uderoche,

Is this video still available to see or did you take it down? Maybe my browser is giving me problems again but I can't seem to play it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: John567 wrote in post #13
Hey uderoche,

Is this video still available to see or did you take it down? Maybe my browser is giving me problems again but I can't seem to play it.

I believe I took it down. I usually only leave videos up for about a month.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 236 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: