Pick rotating question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:24 pm
by Vote_For_Kodos • 23 Posts

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Last edited Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:25 pm | Scroll up

RE: Pick rotating question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:28 pm

btw, this happens pretty much only when I'm strumming chords, not picking, and the problem has little/nothing to do with the scalpel technique, this issue predates scalpel for me. just wanted to clarify as the video seems to imply that the two issues are related…they're not

Last edited Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:29 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:30 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Have you tried a pick with a bit of a grip to it? This has been a problem for me in the past, but not so much recently, though I'm not entirely sure why.

For what it's worth, I was using some form of Dunlop picks with a rugged grip area, and am now using Dava picks. The only other thing I can think of is that I'm picking much more lightly than I used to. I find this helps both with tone and speed, but I'd guess it means the pick is less likely to rotate too.

Sorry I've got nothing better than that for you. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:32 pm
by Tom (deleted)

Well, I'll throw out the same disclaimer: somebody that's had guitar students is more likely to have useful input compared to me. However, try a couple of different picks. I use the black Dunlop Jazz III picks, and like Cliff said, they've got some picks with extra good grip. Looking at it from a physical point of view, maybe do some process of elimination. Like play something with only downstrokes and see if it happens, play something with only upstrokes and see if it happens, tremolo a single string and see if happens, because maybe it's related to a motion like the upstroke.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:03 am
by uderoche (deleted)

www.davapick.com

Try the grip tips. They will not move. If the pick still moves the problem is with your grip. Possibly holding the pick too loosely or possibly using too much of the pick to contact the string (only use the very tip of the pick when playing).

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:21 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:17 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Thank You Ursin!!
I never thought to control how much of the pick itself touches the string. This is going to not only allow for more control but also be able to alter my tone as well! I think that this will apply mostly to scalpel, whereas Sarod( for me anyway ) would cause the pick to slide around(when using to much pick)

Again thank you sir!

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:23 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

I've actually never encountered this problem with a student so I'm interested in the outcome. Let me know what happens.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Ok. So, the last two weeks I've been on a bit of a pick bender, and I've found the solution in the form of a pick from nashville named V-picks. I paid $20 to get their "sampler package," which is 5 different picks, and the one I like most is called the tradition. Big problem is, the damn things cost $5 dollars a piece. Yes, $5 american dollars. Apparently they are made out of some sort of polycarbonate infused with magic pixie dust. As much as I hate it, so far, this thing is worth every penny.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 pick.jpg 

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:25 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

I think it is the result of feeling awkward because you are new to the technique. After time you will develop that sweet spot for gripping to the point of being able to adjust the pick on the fly. Try to pick slower and lighter...then build up intensity if you like. But I think it will disappear after a while. Plus read the pick gripping ideas in the posts above.

I had that problem before....actually sweat and blood got in the way and use to make my pick slippery. So I learned how to adjust the pick while playing...plus I found picking lighter to regain control helped to while playing.

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
28 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly