The best music books ever

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:58 am
by bowie • 4 Posts

Hello everybody!
I was wondering, what are the best music books that are worth studying? I mean the best scales\harmony\improvisation\technique\sight reading etc.? Sometimes there's no possibility to practice the guitar, but we can read an informative book, can't we? So any valuable information is much appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

Scroll up

RE: The best music books ever

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:40 am
by ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime • 14 Posts

I've found tons of great advice in "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick..
It's got some very good and thorough approaches imho.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:57 am
by bowie • 4 Posts

Thank you! Yes! I'm already concerned about it thanks to Mr.Brown!
If there is something as valuable as this book - feel free to share ur experience! :D

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

For anyone who is really balls to the wall serious about learning music theory/ how to professionally compose/arrange...There is Stefan Kostka & Dorothy Paynes Tonal Harmony...Its a fews years commitment to go from cover to cover...but you will be the bees knees at writing counterpoint afterwards.

Ursinic Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 am
by bowie • 4 Posts

Wow! That's awesome! Thank you for the valuable information!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 am
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

I really like "Jazz Improvisation for Guitar: A Melodic Approach" and to get some reading chops I really like "Music Reading For Guitar by David Oakes." If you're looking for technique books, I strongly recommend Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2 and Petrucci's Rock Discipline.

Also I would love to give William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar a shot, has anyone checked that one out?

Last edited Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am
by bowie • 4 Posts

Hey, that is HUGE!!! Thanks!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:57 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Joel, I tracked down the PDFs to that series and I think it's quite good for learning sight-reading.

In the chord thread, Pebber offered some texts:
h.ttp://521251.xobor.com/t468f2-Chord-Thread.html#msg4017

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:47 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

"Also I would love to give William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar a shot, has anyone checked that one out?"

These 3 books are awesome ( books I, II and III). They were 'the' guitar lesson textbooks when I was in music school. Go through them cover to cover, and you will know your major scale fingerings, Harmonic Minor and Melodic/Jazz Minor scales in every key. You will know every chord coupled with useful chord progressions. Basic sightreading skills will be in tune, too if you get the copy that comes WITHOUT tab... Really handy books. Those Berklee guys, they have a handle on it...

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Jamey Abersold books. 'Must haves' in my opinion, if you are working on improve and want a really conducive 'right now' plan of attack in regards to improvising.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:15 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Yes I too have modern guitar method book with accompanying Video lessons by Larry baione.
Need to get back to it one day.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:24 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Hey Nick,

I have been reading about "Stefan Kostka & Dorothy Paynes Tonal Harmony". Many reviews state that it does not get involved in melody. Know any books that combine both ?

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
236 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly