Playing with a group/band

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 am
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Hey all
I've been busy and haven't been here in a while. I started playing with my buddies some weeks ago. We practice once a week on weekends and I should say its going pretty good. Lots of mistakes but we are all beginners. It really makes so much sense now when I am playing a solo. I think 14 position system is paying off now, I can visually see a shape in the fretboard when I am soloing over something. In the past, I used to play note to note and hit wrong notes sometimes because I couldn't visualize or didn't know how to visualize the scale shape.

What do you guys think of when you play in song that you have already learned. Do you just play from your memory or you still try to visualize a chord/scale shape?

youtube.com/watch?v=jx1mxgXWDG0&list=LL7O1ymI-9U-hS1Gcjb6spKA

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio

Last edited Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 am | Scroll up

RE: Playing with a group/band

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

This is great Diego! So glad to see you jamming. Exactly what you need to be doing! Practicing by yourself and then jamming with people! Awesome! You are on your way.

As far as the scale systems go, I guess I could put myself on auto pilot and just shred through some positions. Some have asked me why in some of my videos I'm not playing faster. It's funny because Pebber is the master of teaching speed right? But really, it's not about speed. It's about translating an idea or an emotion. Sometimes you need speed to do that. Or not. So it's about no boundaries more than it is about speed. So, I will look at the neck and try to see what notes are available to me and try to deliver that emotion or idea through phrasing, sliding, vibrato, speed, whatever I need.

So, to answer your question, I think it's easier to just connect the positions and shred around. And sometimes it will sound good. But, through practice, you want to look at the neck and just see the notes that are available and not see different patterns or shapes. We all work from patterns and shapes right? But if you can break out of that, which takes a lot of practice, it will make you better.

Anyway, that's my humble opinion! You are doing great man! Keep it up!!!!!!

PS Love the song choice!

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:02 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:23 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Diego, nice man! I wish I could get that type of thing going where I'm at. Definitely jealous.

Instead of reading this you should be practicing. Slowly. With a metronome.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Thank you Ursin and Damon. There is no doubt that Pebber is a great teacher. Yeah, I am going to have to learn to see individual notes inside the scale shape.

Damon, you should try looking at Musicians Wanted on Craigslist. I responded to a few ad on there and met some cool people. I also tried putting my own ad but that didn't work good for me. I talked to some of my close friends and asked them if they have a friend who is interested in playing certain instrument. That's how I started this group.

I realized that playing in a group is not that easy for me. I can play a complete song at home over a backing track making a little amount of mistake but I find it very hard to play the same thing in the group. Is that a common problem or just me?

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 am
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: diegopaudyal wrote in post #1
Hey all
I've been busy and haven't been here in a while. I started playing with my buddies some weeks ago. We practice once a week on weekends and I should say its going pretty good. Lots of mistakes but we are all beginners. It really makes so much sense now when I am playing a solo. I think 14 position system is paying off now, I can visually see a shape in the fretboard when I am soloing over something. In the past, I used to play note to note and hit wrong notes sometimes because I couldn't visualize or didn't know how to visualize the scale shape.

What do you guys think of when you play in song that you have already learned. Do you just play from your memory or you still try to visualize a chord/scale shape?

youtube.com/watch?v=jx1mxgXWDG0&list=LL7O1ymI-9U-hS1Gcjb6spKA

Great video!!! Looks like you guys were having fun and enjoying playing. To answer your question I think it is combination of both of those things in all honesty. When you get familiar of with both the positions of the 14 system and you learn songs note for note, the 14 position system will give you many options for what notes to pick if you wish to improvise or change a solo of a song.

A good thing to know is what key the song is in and what mode the solo of the solo is based around.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:43 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: diegopaudyal wrote in post #4

I realized that playing in a group is not that easy for me. I can play a complete song at home over a backing track making a little amount of mistake but I find it very hard to play the same thing in the group. Is that a common problem or just me?

No, it's not just you. Now you are seeing why it is so important to play with other musicians. As a UNIT you have to be able to pull it off. There is a big difference in playing this super fast sweep arpeggio diminished scale thing in your room, then playing it with your band, then your band playing it in front of people!!!!! Takes a lot of dedication, at home practice, and rehearsal. It's definitely a skill that A LOT of people do not have. Keep working on it!!!

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:56 am

Oh okay. I hope everyone in this forum finds a group to practice with. Just wondering if anyone here is from Minneapolis, MN area. Private message me if you live nearby.

Here is last weeks practice. It wasn't that good but yeah some drinks and a lot of fun. I'm sitting down so you cannot see my playing.

youtube.com/watch?v=WLU1WQ6VgYA

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:31 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I am in edina thats like 20 min from minneapolis min...

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:33 pm

And I thought I was the only Minnesooootaan on PBforum.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:36 pm

We should start a Marriachii sarod band.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Last edited Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:38 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 am

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #10
We should start a Marriachii sarod band.

Thats cool nick. I live close to Normandale college. I am not sure about "Mariachi sarod band" but we could meet up, share ideas, jam, start a group if possible. Private message me if you are up for that.

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Also To TS original question, I would say that i have learned for myself that I am best served to not think about guitar when playing it...that kinda thing only serves to eat up headspace that could otherwise be freed up for other tasks such as learning and processing other stuff...besides man there is plenty of time for you to to spend by thinking about your guitar during all the rest pf the time whene you are not able to be alone with it.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Last edited Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:26 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 am

Nick, I am assuming the response was for me. I don't really understand what you mean. Thank you though.

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm

This is ok man, most non aspies never seem to understand many of the things I say; and this is ok...

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
79 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly