Pinky Problems

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 am
by lmorse • 1 Post

Hi,
I seem to have an issue with my fretting hand pinky when stretching over to the 6th and 5th strings and applying pressure; the middle knuckle collapses so that the pinky is straight from the base knuckle through to the top knuckle (with the top knuckle bent), so that if you look at the pinky side on it looks like an 'L' shape. It means that my pull-offs become quite messy and weak.

Nothing I have tried seems to help keep that middle knuckle bent when stretching. Any suggestions?

Scroll up

RE: Pinky Problems

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:03 am
by uderoche (deleted)

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:52 am
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Okay so I have been doing theses trill exercises everyday since I read this post about a week ago. I've been doing 2 minutes for each finger on each string, total of 48 minutes. I can feel my finger curvature and strength has become nice and strong, especially my pinky, but my picking hand shakes when I am trilling. It looks as if I am picking the string but i am not. My hand is shaking very bad. I am muting other strings with my picking hand/fingers.
My hand starts shaking at around 0:56 here.

What should I do to fix this Ursin?

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio

Last edited Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:53 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:14 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Question: Are you trilling so hard that the guitar is shaking THUS making your pick hand shake?

or

Do you think your pick hand is "sympathetically shaking" with your fret hand?

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 am

Quote: uderoche wrote in post #4
Question: Are you trilling so hard that the guitar is shaking THUS making your pick hand shake?

or

The guitar is shaking a little bit, but I don't think that is the reason for my picking hand shaking. Isn't it normal for the guitar to shake a little bit while trilling?

Yes that could be correct. I watched the video a few times and at times I am subconsciously doing scalpel picking, other times my whole hand is moving. You can see my thumb and index finger only move at 1:15. I think that I am subconsciously picking in the air.

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: diegopaudyal wrote in post #5
Quote: uderoche wrote in post #4

or

The guitar is shaking a little bit, but I don't think that is the reason for my picking hand shaking. Isn't it normal for the guitar to shake a little bit while trilling?

Yes that could be correct. I watched the video a few times and at times I am subconsciously doing scalpel picking, other times my whole hand is moving. You can see my thumb and index finger only move at 1:15. I think that I am subconsciously picking in the air.

That's what I think as well. I think you have become so accustomed to practicing scalpel picking that now when you are practicing trilling your pick hand wants to pick the string. You move your pick hand away from the string but it is continuing to make the scalpel motion "sympathtically" while the fret hand is trilling. I think it's something you definitely need to correct. Take your pick hand off the guitar and do trills like that for a while. A few weeks. If it gets noisy so what. No big deal. It's just an exercise to strengthen the left hand. Then bring the pick hand back in for muting. If it is still moving around be very conscious of that. If you are trilling and the pick hand starts moving STOP, shake it off, and start again. You basically have to program the pick hand to stop moving while you are playing legato. This is odd but, I think it will correct itself in time if you do the above.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Okay thanks. I will practice trilling putting my picking hand away from the guitar from now on.

Cheers.

-Michael Angelo Batio

Last edited Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:09 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:17 am
by Case • 68 Posts

I'm no expert by any means, so experienced members please correct me if I'm wrong, but Pebber recommended placing the fretting hand on the knee between each time you form a chord with your fingers during chord practices. Maybe keeping the picking hand on your knee whilst trilling will help prevent involuntary movements in this case too. I'm probably overanalysing it...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:26 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Yes case this was memorization technique can also be used to learn scales/phrases .

As ursin posted trill till it hurts try beating Frakh's 6 hours trill. that will fix it.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:20 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

If string sits silent and muted in the forest and the muting hand is trembling and having a bad time did the string every even actually try to make bad noise? there is probably no way anyone could know it either way, but i would probably not mute the strings and force myself to be more harsh in disciplining my team of trillers to pay more attention to what I need them to do on all non muted strings that are in need of getting some trill. Maybe try to split practice day in half for 1.) the trill and 2.) the mute... but I dont think I would be doing them together because I cant effectiveyly practice on two seperate things simultaneously anyway. I gotta go one at a time inorder for me to really learn much.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 am

Yeah, I appreciate your reply Nick. No, the muting hand actually didn't make a bad noise.

I learned isolating one hand idea from Tom Hess, especially for directional/economy picking technique. I guess I can apply the same idea for trilling as well.

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 246 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly