New to PBstudios -- Module 1 video

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:21 pm
by gibsoda • 6 Posts

Definitely a bit sloppy at times -- I shall keep workin. I'd love some tips/feedback etc. Cheers

Dan

Scroll up

RE: New to PBstudios -- Module 1 video

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:15 am
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Good work. The only thing I can say is really to speed up the metronome in smaller increments.

Last edited Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:29 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:26 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Solid work. I would say work on playing past your comfort zone. Seems you are comfortable playing at these speeds. Play faster. In fact, put the metronome down and play as fast as you can, no matter how sloppy it is. Keep doing that for a while. And then bring the 2 together....the precise metronome playing and the "as fast as I can" playing. Like SHawn Lane said, you can either #1 Build the speed gradually or #2 Play as fast as you can and work on cleaning it up. That's it! That's all you can do. You have to work on bringing the two together and pushing yourself harder. In fact, you have to push yourself much harder. Most people do. Don't worry about it.

Lots of nights I fall asleep with guitar. Girlfriend wakes me up. I keep playing. Fall asleep again. Girlfriend wakes me up. I go to bed. Get up, 5am, 6am, 7am, start practicing again. Go to band rehearsal. Rehearse 3hrs. Come home, keep practicing. Lunch...hold fork with one hand, do legato with other hand. No need for breaks unless bathroom. Go teach lessons, keep practicing. Stay at university later...music building stays open until midnight. Fall asleep in practice studio. Wake up, keep practicing. Fall asleep again. Drive home. Keep practicing. Fall asleep on sofa around 2am. Girlfriend wakes me up. Go to bed. Up at 7am. No caffeine. No drugs. Just desire.

You gotta push it much harder.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:30 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:12 pm
by gibsoda • 6 Posts

Thanks, that is great feedback. I definitely need to practice more outside the comfort zone and push my limits. Making the two approaches to playing fast meet in the middle makes a lot of sense to me. Stupid day job wasting valuable practice hours. I will keep trying to get as much in everyday as possible. I appreciate the advice and people taking the time to watch me and offer it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 05, 2014 3:36 pm
by gibsoda • 6 Posts

Next set of exercises in Module 1.

Dan

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 05, 2014 4:47 pm
by zippykins • 3 Posts

Ursin, that advice was so spot on for me haha

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 05, 2014 9:27 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: gibsoda wrote in post #5
Next set of exercises in Module 1.

Dan

This is solid. Your picking hand is in the PERFECT position for playing on a strat. You wanna pick right behind the middle pickup (most of the time...not all) for the best tone.

Now, what you do is, when you are PUSHING it, try and relax. Consciously think to yourself "relax...I'm just playing guitar...everything is fine...I'm chill." Don't let your picking hand get too tense. This will slow you down.

Second and, more importantly, when you are playing as fast as you can NOTICE WHAT YOUR MISTAKES ARE. Are you always hitting the G string accidentally? Or the B string? Then, ISOLATE where those problem areas are. ISOLATE the areas where you accidentally hit the wrong string. When you have the problem isolated drill ONLY THAT SMALL PART and do it VERY SLOWLY with the metronome slowly raising the bpm.

These isolated parts, practice them for hours every day. Not just 5 minutes here and there. That's not gonna cut it.

You are on the right track. Keep going!

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 54 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: