Module 1 Practical Part 1 Question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:47 pm
by gossman • 5 Posts

Hi gang. I just got started with my first monthly lesson from Mr. Brown and was hoping someone would provide me a little guidance. I'm in the Module 1 Practical 1. I can practice along with the video up until he jumps from 128 BPM 186 BPM on 1/8 note Am Pentatonic Scalpel Picking. I'm just not there yet. The question is do I just keep trying to keep up with the faster and faster speeds in order to stay with the practice video or should I stop at that point until I'm able to handle that speed. I ask because my first lesson included several other parts that I haven't even watched yet. I don't want to not be practicing things that are expected in the other lessons but...quite frankly...I just ain't good enough to go faster yet... Any Advice is appreciated....

Thanks,

Scroll up

RE: Module 1 Practical Part 1 Question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:14 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Do you have a musical reason to play that fast ?
I don't have a musical reason to play fast, I pushed my self to the point of getting 300 bpm.
After that I have been learning Giant Steps and focusing on that. Giant Steps has a tempo right around 290bpm.
However I am not even at that point yet(solo). I am still working on the harmony and melody. Still trying to get the feel out of it. I have been working on the song for about 1 year now (I have only been playing for a little over 2 years).

My point is, do the exercises and ask yourself if you would incorporate it musically(speedwise). You should always trill, spider, etc. But ask yourself how fast you want to go.

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:23 am
by gossman • 5 Posts

Thanks. I don't know if I have a musical reason to play fast at this point. I'm just trying to do the exercises that were assigned to me by Mr. Brown and he emphasises going fast in the video's. So I guess that's my reason for now....because he said so!

Thanks..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:25 am
by student • 146 Posts

If I sat in one of Pebber's videos and practiced until I could reach his speed....I don't know if I could ever reach it ? I can't guess how fast I could potentially play ? I have no motive to shred right now.

Everyone is different, maybe you just want to shred ? If so, stay in the vids and practice daily until you can reach high speeds. Note: Don't just practice the scales Pebber demos over and over,,,Trill and Spider heavily. After awhile you will see your hand moving all over as if it had its own mind. Also, make sure both of your hands are synced up. What good is a Shawn Lane left hand when you have a Fred Durst right hand.

Overall message: Have a reason for everything you do while practicing guitar.

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 pm
by aethermachine • 33 Posts

Quote: student wrote in post #4
What good is a Shawn Lane left hand when you have a Fred Durst right hand.

Overall message: Have a reason for everything you do while practicing guitar.

I lol'd so effing hard when I read this. Made my evening sir. :P

Last edited Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:01 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
277 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly