Sarod picking while keeping strings from ringing

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 pm
by sirpsycho85 • 2 Posts

I really like the sarod style of picking, it feels loose and my accuracy is improving. However, since you aren't supposed to rest your thumb on the strings, how do you go about keeping those strings from ringing out? For example, a simple arpeggio shape like:

e----5---5--
B---6-6-6-6-
G--5---5---5

The G string regularly rings out for me as there's no left-hand finger coming over the top to mute it after it plays, but the right thumb isn't touching it either.

Scroll up

RE: Sarod picking while keeping strings from ringing

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:05 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Pebber has a video on Sarod muting technique. The muting comes more from the base of the palm, will see if i can find it

But i would of thought for this arpeggio shape you would want to use Economy/sweep picking style, not saying it cant be alternate picked also.
A lot of muting will come from the the left index finger.
A quick video is the best way to get feedback.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word

Last edited Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 am | Scroll up

RE: Sarod picking while keeping strings from ringing

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 pm
by sirpsycho85 • 2 Posts

Thanks for your reply! Here's a brief video. It's tough to hear, but when I pause you can hear a G note quietly. (I also threw in a bit of picking on one string in case anyone happened to have feedback on that.)

I tried posting using the regular video feature, but the forum gave me a message saying "too many links" and that 0 links are allowed. Not sure how else people post videos, so I'm just providing the path to tack on after youtube...

/watch?v=rxqgFH8IH5o

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
537 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly