Pebber and chromaticism!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 pm
by birdsoffire • 5 Posts

When I got out of the military in in 1994 I had a chance to go to GIT/MI for a little while until the money ran out. I had a chance to study with some fantastic musicians (not just guitar players). I got a chance to take some lessons from some world class players. Two in particular were artists in residence for a while were Steve Lukather and Scott Henderson.

Steve Lukather talked about the importance of using chromatic scales in playing and proper technique in playing the scales. From what I remember we started out at 50 bpms in playing those scales and would not up the bpms until your technique and the scales were played perfectly. Pebber's videos on chromatic scales reminds me of sitting in that lesson room with Lukather again! I believe I still have some of the materials from those lessons.

Scott Henderson was also a beast. He wouldn't even let us pick up a guitar until we completed an ear training exercise. This was one of the most difficult classes I had to take. Scott did not just play guitar notes...he would play a Miles Davis horn solo or a Michael Brecker sax solo or a Vladimir Horowitz piano melody. We had to not only tell him the notes, but transpose those onto the guitar. Again watching some of Pebber's videos he talked about singing along with everything you play to really understand the notes you are playing.

Pebber is definitely speaking the truth. Being away from guitar for a significant amount of time and coming back to it, I really have fun watching Pebber's videos because it is like being at MI again. However I remember Steve Lukather using much more "colorful" language if we screwed up. I think I might have to subscribe to Pebber's online lessons! Love playing those chromatic exercises...

Thanks Pebber for bringing some of those great memories back!

Last edited Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:26 pm | Scroll up

RE: Pebber and chromaticism!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:27 pm
by musicalhair • 9 Posts

I got out in '88, and luckily for me there was a classical teacher who taught in the college I went to, but man GIT-- so cool.

I enjoyed reading your post, and as I return to seriously woodshedding on my instruments, I look forward to reading more what you (and everyone) post here.

Scroll up

RE: Pebber and chromaticism!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:27 pm
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: birdsoffire wrote in post #1
When I got out of the military in in 1994 I had a chance to go to GIT/MI for a little while until the money ran out. I had a chance to study with some fantastic musicians (not just guitar players). I got a chance to take some lessons from some world class players. Two in particular were artists in residence for a while were Steve Lukather and Scott Henderson.

Steve Lukather talked about the importance of using chromatic scales in playing and proper technique in playing the scales. From what I remember we started out at 50 bpms in playing those scales and would not up the bpms until your technique and the scales were played perfectly. Pebber's videos on chromatic scales reminds me of sitting in that lesson room with Lukather again! I believe I still have some of the materials from those lessons.

Scott Henderson was also a beast. He wouldn't even let us pick up a guitar until we completed an ear training exercise. This was one of the most difficult classes I had to take. Scott did not just play guitar notes...he would play a Miles Davis horn solo or a Michael Brecker sax solo or a Vladimir Horowitz piano melody. We had to not only tell him the notes, but transpose those onto the guitar. Again watching some of Pebber's videos he talked about singing along with everything you play to really understand the notes you are playing.

Pebber is definitely speaking the truth. Being away from guitar for a significant amount of time and coming back to it, I really have fun watching Pebber's videos because it is like being at MI again. However I remember Steve Lukather using much more "colorful" language if we screwed up. I think I might have to subscribe to Pebber's online lessons! Love playing those chromatic exercises...

Thanks Pebber for bringing some of those great memories back!

Steve Lukather had the potential to be a much better player than he is. He is a great player but he was way too much in the boozing and cocaine.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 8 (yesterday 447) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: