if you only had one hour to practice a day?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:31 am
by walleyedave • 37 Posts

I am learning the caged method from Pebbers videos. I am using his methods to improve my tecnique. If you were limited to just one hour a day for pure practice time (sometimes more). Using all of your experience, what are the most important things that worked for you to make sure that when i am limited, i get the most out of this hour? i give you this as a worst case scenario, sometimes i have more than that. This will be my last post for awhile,, as i have ALOT of work to do!! thanks in advance! you people are very helpfull.

Scroll up

RE: if you only had one hour to practice a day?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:48 am
by uderoche (deleted)

If you only have an hour, I say spend most of your time on trills, ladders, spiders, and picking exercises.

Don't know what the other guys will say but that's my 2 cents

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 pm
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

Hi, in order to get the most out of the hour and not get distracted I would map time slots to activities in blocks of 10 minutes and carefully focus for that entire time for example trills are very beneficial and one of pebbers recommendations is to start with about 2 minutes of time per string. I think spiders and ladders are good for warming up and ensuring that you have correct teqnique do 10 minutes of those. Then do 30 minutes of scales in G in all positions repeat 5x with no mistakes including intervals - this will extend the ladders but also be musical for example using 6ths the sequence would be 16,27,38 etc all the way up and down the position. Do some arpeggios, do some chord work, the point is to make sure that you have a plan for what you need to improve and not get distracted 1/2 through by flaking out and playing hendrix. Then save some time at the end to jam with a backing track while you are hot - that is your reward.

The point is to have a plan, and stick to it what is in that plan is really up to you and your teacher.

Also do not play too fast, set the metronome and play everything correctly at whatever speed you can handle so that you an concentrate on what you are doing. Use the trills to develop speed and strength until you know the fretboard.

Learning songs is important too, use some tabs to help you focus and pick 2 songs per week to work on 10 minutes each per day repeating 5 - 10 times playing correctly.

If you do these things you will improve on what it is that you practice.

Set you goals for the week and make a video as if it is a lesson with your teacher where you play everything that you have been practicing, you can use these to review your progress in the future.

Rob

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 pm
by SwampRiverMan • 27 Posts

I'd pickup the guitar and play it.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 353 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: