Connecting the Dots Linearly

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 am
by FretboardFreedom • 3 Posts

Hello All!
Recently watched an eye opening video of PB's YT video where he discusses playing linearly. As I am working on the diatonic scales, I understand the Standard Box/3NPS scale shapes which go up and down the fret board. However, playing on one or two strings linearly going across is even more important. While I am comfortable playing linearly from root note to root note, how do you learn comfortably playing without starting and stopping on the root note? What is the easiest way to learn the fret board linearly so if I am playing in A Minor for instance, I can start on the 8th fret (F note) A string, and then walk it up to the 12th fret A string to hit my root note there? Is there a trick or tip, or is it just straight memorization of playing the patterns over and over? Whatever I need to do I will and I will put in the time accordingly. Just want the best strategy if you will... Thanks very much for everyone's time and knowledge- FF.

Scroll up

RE: Connecting the Dots Linearly

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:29 am
by McFly • 42 Posts

Maybe learning modes of the parent A minor scale (modes in series) linearly?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Definitely a possibility! My issue would be then recalling each note for each mode of whatever key I'm in lol.
I guess this is why E is the key of Metallica!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:33 am

McFly one thing I realized, if I learned each mode linearly in terms of their respective steps and half steps, you still need to know which note belongs to which mode in whatever key. So if I spot a B note, that's B Locrian if I am in A Minor. How do we simplify this? If possible...

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
316 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly