My new approach to the 14 position sys.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:14 pm
by hudsontoronto • 79 Posts

I just want to report my practice of the Pebber brown 14 position system.
It will take longer than what I had planned, one week on each scale is not enough, especially after the third position because you have to go back to position one and review it and so on to the other position. The more position you learn more positions you will have to review and keep it memorized.so I'm thinking 2 weeks on each position should be enough. So in 7 months I will reach my goal, than after just polish it every day and on my way to master the 14 positions.
How did you learn the Pebber Brown 14 position system?

Scroll up

RE: My new approach to the 14 position sys.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

for me, writing the scales out made a world of difference. 10 times using dots, 10 times using numbers and 10 times using note names. its time consuming but well worth it, the scale is ingrained in your mind before you've even picked up the guitar, it will also help you learn where notes and octaves occur on the fretboard. i spend 1 hour at the start of everyday writing out scales and it has helped me enormously.

the hard part is to make time for it all. if you don't have alot of time it might be best for you just to practice your scales on the guitar, but whenever you get spare time (a bus/train ride) start writing them out, i guarantee it will help you.

what you will find with pebber's 14 position system is a number of similar scales that have some positional changes. positions 3 and 4 for example are very similar except for the positional changes on the 1st and 2nd strings. once you are able to play a couple scales really well the rest won't seem as hard because you'll start to see the similarities, just keep at it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Oh that's how I learned the caged system, by writing the scales down.
But now I don't have alot of time with the type of work that I do "construction",I'm not working right now due to luck of work
On my region, but normally I only have 1 or 2 hours to practice. But I like to write scales when I'm waiting for something or when I take my car to the mechanic, any chance I have I will be or watching some Pebber Brown video on my iPhone or if I have my guitar material with me I will be writing scales.
Good tip man.
I guess you already know the 14 position system right?
All modes? Even Hungarian minor?
If so how long did it take you and how much did it improve your playing as far as improvisation?
Cheers.
Hudson.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:36 am
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

well if you're writing them out that is awesome. as for 'knowing' the 14 position system, yes i can play any of those positions and its helped to unlock the fretboard me. i'm seeing notes i wasn't seeing before, seeing the shapes made up the neck which has given me a virtual fretboard map (the 14 position system is quite a an extensive map too).

how long did it take? i think after about 3-4 months i had memorized it all but i have a hell of alot more time on my hands. i wouldn't worry so much about how much time it will take, just set some realistic goals for yourself as you did above and work from there. just remember, actually memorizing the scales and being able to make music with them are two very separate things, both must be drilled.

for improv its great, i'm hardly a master but once you have the positions memorized you should start hitting up the backing tracks pebber has provided on the website and play your scales along with them. pebber has made some great videos directly on that topic which you should look at once you've memorized those scales. you need to practice with those backing tracks as hard as you would practice anything on guitar, it will not only help to ingrain the scales but also give you new musical ideas and it will also improve your ear, which in the end is what we all want to do.

do you have a guitar teacher? it would be great if you had someone to monitor your technique while you practice pebber's scale system.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:08 pm

I don't have a teacher right now because I can't afford one right now.
I'm collecting a bunch of information here and there and trying to set a goal for myself.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
148 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly