Daily Practice Module 1 Question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 03, 2011 2:38 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

Oi guys, just 2 questions that keep lingering around in my head:

1 - Are the Neoclassical patterns and scale excercises an alternative for the open string excercises?
Or should we always practice the open strings first and then go for the Neo patterns?

2 -Is a Daily Practice (long real time version) for Module 2 coming out ?

Thanks in advance.

As a side comment, I dont find the excersises boring , they have taken a somewhat meditative character for me.

Last edited Tue May 03, 2011 2:54 am | Scroll up

RE: Daily Practice Module 1 Question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 07, 2011 10:40 am
by uderoche (deleted)

The neoclassical arpeggios patterns are not alternatives for open string exercises. The open string picking exercises are meant to develop a consistent (both up and down motions sound the same) and tight (pick is staying as close to the string as possible) picking arc.

I would say practice both. You can stop doing the open string exercises after 2 years...maybe. Depends on how it is going. Will have to see videos of you playing to decipher this.

Good luck!

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the detailed answer, I just bought my first ele arond 7 months ago and wasted time until i watched my first pebber brown video about 5 weeks ago.. listening to him talk was like an epiphany to me.

Ill keep practicing for around 1 year at least and then if we are still around I would gladly post a video for you to analize mate :)

Another 2 questions that arised( I love how practicing so many hours a day makes you think of so many details) :

I usually practice at least 6 hours a day at minimum and 8 hours on days where i have more time available,
some weekends i even manage to go all Steve Vai and get my 10 hours..

However:
Although i try to plan my time so that practice is not interrupted , attending uni, having a part time job at the uni,
living with my girlfriend and not totally isolating myself from my selected close friends and family, really make it hard not to have the need to divide my practice time (some unlucky days) in various periods (1-4) that range from 1 to 4 hours.

My 2 questions are:

1) Experiments and courses on the psychology of learning have taught me that
we actually keep subconsiously learning while we take a break from a given task , having a positive effect on many fields.
Does this in your opinion also tanslate to guitar playing ?

2) On days whereI have 3 practice hours during the morning and when i get back home from college or work i have another 4, Is it more effective to start over or continue where i left ? Should I aim to practice all the modules during those 3 hours and then again practice all the modules for the next 4 hours ? or should I instead divide it so that i use the first 3 hours to work on the first modules and the 4 hours left to work on the rest ?

Im currently mainly focused on module 1 and 2.. and rarely start practicing anything before going through module 1.. i havent had time to dig on learning experiments that deal with that kind of subjects , but I guessed that i would rather ask you what in your experience is the most effective way?

Thanks in Advance.
Greetings from Germany

Last edited Mon May 23, 2011 1:17 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 24, 2011 12:55 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Zitat von Slashiepie

1) Experiments and courses on the psychology of learning have taught me that
we actually keep subconsiously learning while we take a break from a given task , having a positive effect on many fields.
Does this in your opinion also tanslate to guitar playing?

Well, I do find that if I take a break from something and then come back to it, it's usually easier to do. But I don't really try to take breaks just because of that. If I practice for more than 1 hour in one session, I'll usually take a 10min break. I don't really like taking breaks because if something comes up then I'm not able to get back on the guitar...

Zitat von Slashiepie

2) On days whereI have 3 practice hours during the morning and when i get back home from college or work i have another 4, Is it more effective to start over or continue where i left ? Should I aim to practice all the modules during those 3 hours and then again practice all the modules for the next 4 hours ? or should I instead divide it so that i use the first 3 hours to work on the first modules and the 4 hours left to work on the rest ?

This is really up to you. I find that I like to think of my practicing in terms of a DAY. So what can I get done today? I really think it's best to try to get all the modules covered in your practice day. So figure out how many hours you can practice and then divide up the modules over those hours so you get everything done. Granted some days I'm struggling with a certain module, then sometimes I will come back to it, maybe even 3 times.

I like having a routine, but I also think it's important not to get burnt out. Try to mix it up every once in a while.

Hope this helps!

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 28, 2011 8:46 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Hey Slashpie... I'm glad to hear(read) from someone that exercises have meditative character for him. That really means
you're on the right track. But I can't really figure what do you mean by "Neoclassical" patterns... do you mean
Stravinsky or even Liszt type of patterns, or Malmsteen, Macalpine, and other "Neoclassical" guys' recycled sequences
in thirds, four note patterns, diminished arpeggio farts etc? Anyways, in both cases, along with scale exercises, they
can never be an alternative to open string exercises. I understand your point of view. You're trying to cover more
things at the same time, but there's a catch. Have you ever tried to isolate just your right hand from some pattern,
and could play that as open string exercise? And have you ever tried to use a right hand pattern from an open strings
exercise in a musical situation consciously? Try it.

Guitar is not Karate Kid-mr.Miyagy kinda thing, where you do bunch of different things non related to real situation
that appears suddenly in total mastery later when you reach for it from your muscle memory. I don't know any guy who
rips just by doing bunch of open string exercises. Note choice couldn't ever be replaced by mechanical mastery over
open six(or 7, or 8) strings only. Don't you think it's good idea to try to isolate just right hand from your favorite
patterns and do just that motions on open strings to give your right hand a boost. Anyways, while doing open string
exercises it's good idea to accent strokes that aligns with the click of metronome. Also, you can mute the strings with
your left hand if open strings irritates you. You can also do your favorite melodic patterns using one picking
direction only, say maybe you do melodic minor scale all with up strokes. Or with down strokes only. Or maybe by doing
paradiddles with pick strokes. Do whatever you can think of. Open strings, muted strings and with involved melodic
patterns. And why not give it a try to do exactly the same up and down of what not motions when your guitar is not near
you...air guitar exercises. Why not to try to remember fingerings of your left hand and do it also in air guitar fashion
in times when guitar is not near you. Even thinking about it all, without hand movements except in your head, maybe
before going to sleep.

I've noticed you mentioned Vai, and 10 hours... is that Vai's 10 hours workout? Is that Vai's Pseudo chromatic warm ups,
interval sequences and some chordal stuff from Guitar World from 80s-90s? Back then I payed 20 bucks for photocopy of
that from a jerk who was selling info from USA magazines that at that time was unreachable for us normal European
mortals. Man, it brings out nostalgic memories.

Regarding the modules, I think every module is important equally and therefore needs a work on each with same respect
as much as you can cover. I could add a little to module 5, that goes well with a module 7 as well, as you mentioned
possible development in times spent without guitar. And as I mentioned above mentioning silly little term "air guitar
exercises" this time, why not give it a try, by listening songs, by listening the music, to try to figure out in your
head what progression it is that song you're listening to, is constructed on. Why not to try to figure intervals of a
melody, intervals of the bass, on keyboard or any instrument involved in the song... is it in major or minor key, or
if it's modal, what mode is it. Listen to a beat. What measure could it be. Drum with your hands on it if you like. Do
rhythm of melodies with hands, do rhythm of bass, do rhythm of drums, do fills, do polyrhythms. Even if you're out.
While driving your car, and listening music on your car stereo, or you're in cafe bar, drinking espresso, and music
is on the radio, or you're at the club, and music is on. And when you're with your girlfriend, and some sexy music is
buying temperature...ok, in that case maybe not. But, whenever you can, you develop yourself, being with guitar, or not.
Guitar playing shouldn't only count in a situations when you are spending time with your guitar, between four walls.
It's a lifestyle. And welcome to this lifestyle man. You're not alone.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:30 am

Thanks for all your responses!

After a few months i can say that they helped me enormously,
As soon as i get a videocam with webcam capabilities and
save enough money for my new guitar (just a 8 weeks away ^^)
I will be posting some videos and on a not to distant future taking lessons from the man himself! :)

Can anyone suggest a good videocam? The audio is totally irrelevant to me since i connect my guitar to an audio interface, but the fps and zoomed definition are going to be important :)

Thanks again!

Last edited Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:32 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
177 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly