best order to learn scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:42 pm
by BillCorey • 7 Posts

What's the best order to learn the various scales and why?

Scroll up

RE: best order to learn scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:28 am
by uderoche (deleted)

#1 Major Scale: Why? Because it's the foundation of western musical theory
#2 Minor Scale: Why? Because it's almost just as important as the major scale to the foundation of theory
#3 All others in no particular order

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 pm
by BillCorey • 7 Posts

So just to be clear, it's better to learn, say, the pentatonic scales after major and minor? And thanks a lot for the response.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:06 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I would say so, yes. Major and minor first. Then all the others... because the major scale and the minor scale are very important to western music theory, it would be best to not only learn the major and minor scales but really understand the intervals and relationships of the notes and the triads built from these notes before moving forward.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:50 pm
by pharmdawg • 3 Posts

I guess i'm going backwards,,Pentatonic minor and blues scales are what I've l been practicing probably because of my love for the blues. I never learned the Major and Minor scales. my bad.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:57 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I learned the pentatonic scales by ear first back in 1967-68 - so my bad as well... but thats what we naturally gravitate towards by ear - so dont worry about it and just get on the right track to learn all the others.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:59 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

No way!!!
Pebber....
You are GURU....your method is best...!

Guys dont do anything different from whats on the free downloads!

MAJOR---MELODIC MINOR---HARMONIC MINOR---HUNGARIAN MINOR----MELODIC MINOR +4 !!!!

memorize theees way

If you put them side by side
You will notice that they differ from each by one note.....meaning......
MAJOR TO MELODIC MINOR----b3rd
MELODIC to HARMONIC----b6
HARM to HUNG----#4
HUNG to MELODIC #4----natural 6th

If my memory serves me correctly...lol!

Its a really easy way to memorize them in this order...they build off of each others pattern.

plus....you should be WRITING then out by pencil 10 times each pattern per day. This is the quickest way
to remember them as well as playing them over and over..and....(x1000000000000)!

Just my opinion...as long as you keep practicing and trying to remember them...thats what counts!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Yes thats the official formal study plan - but let me reiterate that I learned the pentatonic scales FIRST by ear mostly (and with a little help from Jesse Ed Davis as I lived across the street from him) so the idea of first learning pentatonics is ok if you are just dabbling around. When you get serious you will want to study all the regular scales.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:18 am
by pharmdawg • 3 Posts

Thanks,

Just want to thank you for all the hard work on the videos and the Pentatonic scales :)

I still suck and im a bit of a hack but at my age 43,,its a great feeling to go back and try to learn guitar properly
you have inspired me to setup a practice routine daily, I dont play live and i dont play in a band but i want to be a much better player.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:57 am
by pharmdawg • 3 Posts

Great advice ,,thanks

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:14 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Not being in a band could never be an exuse...cmon man, get your ass on other scales as soon as possible, and yes, if you know pentatonics quite good, you'll be able to figure out "additional" tones of other scales around them pretty fast.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:19 pm
by Jonny Funk • 8 Posts

I learned my modes first and happened to be playing the pentatonics by accident for a couple years before I solidly knew the 5 positions after opening a book. The pentatonics just seemed right to me when playing in a rock context.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
408 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia