Creating movable chords, help

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:35 pm
by smkdintlgnc • 4 Posts

Hello, im having a problem creating chords. I've been playing for maybe 4 years now, i've watched allll the pebber brown videos, practiced the caged system, and even got my interval scales down.

My issue is making chords, i see the scale on the fret board, and i play all the right notes, but the chords either 1)dont sounds like a chord {its a clashing sound} 2) i cant get them to move, even diatonicly.

I've tryed the basic progressions, and adding 5ths, 9ths, but it lacks.

This maybe be a simple solution, or, it might even be my own ear. But im a huge elliott smith fan, and i love how the chords he uses are so rich.

Im a fan of the Hungarian minor gypsy scale, im also a jazz and rock-billy lover.

Scroll up

RE: Creating movable chords, help

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Congrats on watching of all Pebber's videos, but how much you've "heard" his videos is as important as seeing them. Ok, Pebber likes to talk more than somebody could expect and people tend to fast forward the video to some actual playing, and by doing that they miss the big picture because man's talking contains exact or more amount of quality info as playing itself in those videos. Watch all of Pebber's videos again and again, every time you'll reveal something new.

Seeing scale on a fretboard is also fine, but do you see intervals of that scale on the fretboard also?

Chord making should be quite easy, if you know that it's nothing more than extracting intervals from a scale and it's modes... wich means that if main chord was made from 1st, 3rd and 5th(and 7th,and 9th etc...) interval, second chord from that scale(chord from second interval of that scale) would be from 2nd, 4th and 6th(and octave, and 10th etc...) interval of exact scale, for moving it diatonically to next step... third chord would be made from 3rd, 5th and 7th(and 11th etc...) interval from exact scale... etc. It all come down to make a chord family from "interval scales" as you call it... actually from from scale and it's modes, where you extract 1st, 3rd and 5th(and7th) interval and play them together. It's actual moving chords diatonically. Playing a chord scale based on stacking thirds. You can try to harmonize Hungarian minor this way, since you like it, why not try to make a chord scale from it.

Grabbing a nice chord should result with richness in sound, and should be pleasant for ears, and if it's not, could it be that richness in sound and clashing sound could be due to instrument qualities and specifications, amp being used, improperly tuned instrument, distortion or chorus effect if it's on, individual musical preferences etc... in my case, Hotel California intro could sound richer if I had have a 12 string guitar(which I don't have), for example...

Ok, maybe you know this already and I misunderstood you completely, and by "making chords" it might be that you're thinking of adding intervals on the chords by playing a solo over the chords. If this is the case, for start, good idea would be to work on a particular scale by extracting arpeggios from position in which you are playing that scale to learn intervals of each chord from a scale so you can easily approach that intervals while playing scale above the chord being played by band, backing track or whatever...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 pm
by smkdintlgnc • 4 Posts

Cool, thanks for the input. I needed some clearing up on what i was doing. I sorta dove into music theory really fast, and sorta got lost in it. I did listen to the lecture part of the videos, i appreciate a good lecture, im a scholar. my instruments are all tuned and they all sound great, expect my electric with sounds like a golfer.

i think what you touched on at the end was what i was looking for. I play solo, so needless to say i get bored of strums and runs (emin, amin, b7) i got bored of the play the minor third, next chord, minor 3rd note, next etc....

But ive heard talk of different ways to play scales, i.e a sharp note when going up the scale, and a flat coming down the scale.

i suppose i want to play further up the fret board raising into higher pitched chords with that one exotic note. like i said, maybe im just not good enough yet lol.

i'll watch the vids again, maybe i'll find my missing piece, thanks for your help.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:37 pm
by smkdintlgnc • 4 Posts

And i think my clashing sound might have been just playing intervals too close.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 pm
by smkdintlgnc • 4 Posts

this answered my question to the letter....

http://www.halfstepup.com/lessons/gtr-00...iatonic-harmony

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:17 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Put up some videos of your playing so we can see what you are talking about.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:26 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Video from halfstepup is very cool, I didn't know of that site, very cool...

Regarding the chords, you might find also interesting to watch these videos of Pebber, about exporating chords...

Last edited Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:27 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
174 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly