Standing or sitting

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:21 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

Hi Guys,

i love practicing while standing, i usually only sit down when i am struggling with something and need to really slow it down and concentrate or when my back gets tired , nevertheless i was wondering if having a guitar hanging 7 hours a day could actually cause some back damage, im young but im as friggin injured as a war veteran, because long ago i weigthlifted every single day for a year with bad technique, and the least i want is another injury ;P

Sitting down is according to experts by no means something you should be doing for countless hours, however i note theres way more tension in my back after 7 hours of practicing while standing (sitting is easier but since i hang my guitar way up high the weight is still there)

will my back get used to it do you guys do excercises or stetches ?
should i get an even lighter guitar ?
massage? steroids? robotic implants?
what are your suggestions?

Last edited Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:41 am | Scroll up

RE: Standing or sitting

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:26 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I always wear a strap whether standing or sitting. Careful with your back injuries!
You can fix all that with a dual team of a good chiropractor and also a pristine certified acupuncturist.
Doctors just prescribe meds - chiropractors and acupuncturists fix and heal.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:23 am
by Case • 68 Posts

I know it’s been a while since you started this thread but I just got round to reading through the older posts.
My guess is that a lot of the guys who can and do practice long hours on a daily basis without any physical exercise will at some point develop some back issues. Pebber mentioned getting it looked at by a chiropractor or acupuncturist. Additionally, I’d also suggest doing some core exercises at least 3 times a week.
I have been struggling with lower back pain for about 15 years now and it really affected my practice routine and quality. It’s a matter of taste but yoga really worked for me. Great for core muscle strength and stretching, but most importantly for guitar practice: it requires fairly high levels of concentration. Some of the positions you won’t even be able to do unless you clear your mind of all the crap that’s been there on a subconscious level. I know most of the guys here are very keen to maximise the time they dedicate to the instrument and they don’t want any disruptions but it makes sense to me to have a 30 min break, after which my mind is totally fresh again in the middle of let’s say an 8 hour practice session. More of the second half might be retained in your memory as a result. In other threads Pebber emphasised the importance of concentration/visualisation of movements, the mental processes involved in learning.
I’d like to qualify that this is my opinion and it works for me but others might disagree. I would be interested in what Pebber and other experienced players have to say.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Well you should include some physical exercise into your day anyway. The Master Indian Sitar and Sarod players do a whole yoga workout and also intesive meditation and breathing exercises every day before they practice their instruments. It takes a huge discipline. Between age 19 and 24 or so I used to do jog and do Yoga before practicing but then life got in the way.....

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 12 Guests are online.:
McFly

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
618 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly