Unconventional way of playing, yes or no?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 am
by Theo • 19 Posts

Hi guys, I’ve a question about right-hand-technique. I try to be a rock-guitarplayer and play mostly solo-guitar and melodies. But of course rhythm guitar I also a part of it. And somehow I’m not satisfied with how I play that. I used to keep my the plectrum between my thumb and middlefinger. Because of the information Pebber Brown gives I’ve chanced that and keep it now between thumb and indexfinger. And that works very well but, not completely, my rhythms stutter so to say. And although I’m not practicing rhythm real hard I’ve improved by the months. I’m sure if I go on this way I’ll get it sooner or later.

But, I’ve another way of playing rhythm to. With my righthand indexfinger I can play very fast and very rhythmic. I never do this because I want to play in the ‘rightway’. So I never practice this. Also other guitarist in the past advised me not to do it this way. But now lately I’ve changed my mind a bid about this. The thought came to my mind that in the proper way I’ll never reach the level of my indexfinger method. It’s like being a right-handed person learning to throw stones with the left hand. Off course there always will be improvement but it will never be as good as to throw with the righthand. And I also take in consideration there are more guitarplayers with unconventional styles. Just think of Wes Montgomery.

So what to do? Go on in the ‘proper way’ of which I’m sure will lead eventually to something good? Or leave this path for an instant better result? And since I never practice this it may become even better.

So I wonder if here someone with similar experiences of if someone has to say something about this?

Regards Theo

Scroll up

RE: Unconventional way of playing, yes or no?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:39 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

In the end, do whatever you feel comfortable with.

But, understand that you can develop ANYTHING if you give it the proper time. (years)

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:07 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

It can take 5 years to correct that kind of ingrained habit. People tend to fail to correct it if they've been playing for a long time because they dont have the patience to re-do and re-work it. If you keep holding on to the bad habit it will never ever get corrected. If you let it go and just stop doing it it wont take long at all. But its all on you and your level of commitment to yourself.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:40 pm
by Theo • 19 Posts

Thanx for your answer mister Brown. I’ll stick to the rightway.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:13 pm
by walleyedave • 37 Posts

I played for 15 years anchoring my pinky and index finger of my right hand to the body or pick guard. I have spent the last year working HARD on using a closed fist. It has been very, very hard for me to break this habit. And i STILL catch myself anchoring( especially playing live). I think it will take another year before i can fully get rid of my anchoring habit. But, It is worth it. Good things come hard. This site is a lifetime,a LIFETIME of knowledge.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:25 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Thanks for the Kudos. I will never ever steer anyone in the wrong direction about technique skills.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
161 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly