Beginning to play again with correct form

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:06 pm
by Expateach • 29 Posts

I'm 42, picking up steel string again after first starting at around 13 years of age and playing for just a couple of years. I remember absolute basics. I would like to begin learning electric within a year. I may need to retrain my fretting hand grip.

I've looked at a few of Pebber's videos regarding fretting hand grip. I have seen even Randy Rhoads at times with a fretting hand thumb over the top of the neck. Perhaps that is unavoidable for some chords or playing some note sequences. But I have not come across information on the grip discussing palm of hand touching bottom of neck.

Two questions:
1. Would it be a good idea to take lessons to fret like a classical guitarist but on a steel string with the intention of picking up electric in the near future? Is fretting completely transferable from classical to electric? Is that the best strategy?
2. If so, does classical fretting demand that one always leave a space between the bottom of the neck and the palm of the fretting hand?

Thanks to all responders and special thanks to Pebber for his website.

Eric

Scroll up

RE: Beginning to play again with correct form

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:40 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

1) If im not allucinating (have watched around 300 Pebber videos already XD)
Pebber actually says in one of his videos that he recommends taking guitar lessons from a classical guitarist! he says not a neo shredder type of guitarists but an oldschool classical gutiarist, so that he/she teaches you how to read music and proper technique :) Skill does indeed transfer from classical to electric, except muting technique when using hi gain/distortion ;)

2) Ill leave it to the experts :)

Thumb over the neck is almost always a no go, exceptions being vibrato and heavy bends, have in mind when you dont have an SG like guitar with an immense cutaway.. its hard/almost impossible/not viable to get to Fret 20-24 without dealigning the thumb.

Last edited Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:47 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Thumb over the top of the neck is generally considered poor technique unless it has a purpose behind it (ie muting, getting correct leverage for bends, etc) but for general scalar type playing it should be avoided as the fingers cannot extend or stretch out properly. Studying with a classical guitar teacher can only help, however I don't believe it is required to do so to build up the proper left hand posture.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 am
by Expateach • 29 Posts

What about having space between your palm and the bottom of the neck? If I recall from my first lessons early 1980s that was recommended. There is even a plastic device sold on ebay to attach to your guitar neck to keep space between the bottom and your palm.

Wow, I see so many fast successful guitar players with the thumb over the top. But, maybe non-related, I see some guitars that are so fast with minimizing their fretting fingers. But is that part of not having their thumb over the top? Its seems more to do with their other other fingers. Maybe that is just a package deal with learning to play the classical guitar style.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Yes, your palm should not come in contact with the back of the neck. Again, this is so that your fret hand fingers have the best range of extension and motion.

As for seeing "so many fast successful guitar players with thumb over the top" I'm not quite sure who you are speaking of.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:46 pm
by Expateach • 29 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I'm not talking so much about the back of the neck as the bottom of the neck. I mean just below the 1st string. Even if you don't have thumb over the top there is a tendency to close palm so the back of your knuckles inside your hand it touching beside/under the 1st string. I was told not to do that eons ago. And there is a plastic device sold on ebay for starting players to use. I wonder if this philosophy still stands?
Werbung: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Trainer-Ac...=item231909b9f7

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I understand. Yes, I would avoid touching the guitar neck with any part of the hand other than thumb (behind the neck) and tips of fingers (on strings). But, as always, there may be times when some other hand position could be acceptable depending on what you are playing or trying to do.

-Ursin

Last edited Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 am
by reyisido77 • 10 Posts

Expateach, look at the picture of your link.
The guitar is parallel to the ground...quite 45 ° downside

Result is the thumb at the wrong place, due to the body physics laws.

It's not the jazzy position taught by the master which is the opposite way of handling a guitar.

Work at your home with the jazzy posture and play with the guitar low and parallel for easy gigs if you care about your style.
but forget this plastic shit I think. It s like learning a kid to walk with crutches before he already knows how to walk normally

Last edited Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:24 pm
by Expateach • 29 Posts

reyisido77,
Yes the photo shows incorrect form with the thumb over the top. There is a Pebber video where he says how the guitar neck should actually be up by the ear. And it's true that is more comfortable for hand and wrist. Slash looks very good how he holds guitar but too uncomfortable. I will reserach the jazz position but I think I may know how that is.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:11 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm
by Expateach • 29 Posts

Thanks. I've watched that and am checking out your other youtube videos.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Good advice.
Grabbing those chords is a challenge.....it takes years...but eventually you will get it.
Just use proper form..

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:07 am
by Expateach • 29 Posts

Years! Well, hopefully in the mean time we can all have a little fun playing.
I started acoustic 30 years ago. Yesterday I registered for classical guitar lessons with my steel string. I am about to start my re-education and change my fret hand grip which I have been using for so long, but not often at all. I hope the incorrect grip is not too ingrained in my head!
I have moved to Surabaya, Indonesia. Guitar players seem pretty good here. I hope this works!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

When you play just play. When you TRAIN, strive for the best technique you can. If you want to see the correct angle google pictures of Randy Rhoads.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
352 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly