Starting with Scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:24 am
by Kenny124 • 2 Posts

Hi there to everyone out there playing guitar!!! I recently discovered Pebber Browns videos ( so many ) I saw Pebber i believe playing G minor penta then at the same position a G blues...As a beginning guitarist,obviously ( I Think ) i start with Major? When practicing scales like this ( Different Scales on same Position ) Im a little confused!!! SHOULD I PLAY Gmajor, Gminor penta, G blues??? OR should i be playing Gmajor, E minor penta, G blues??? Which Scales should i be learning at the same time??? Thanks,,, Good Luck to all learners and People passing on Knowkedge

Scroll up

RE: Starting with Scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:41 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Hello, Kenny, and welcome.

What you should work on depends greatly on your goals. You need to have in mind what you want to accomplish and be as specific as possible. In fact, write it down. It makes it more real.

If your goal is to master as many scales as possible (which it sounds like it is), then take a look first at Pebber's videos on the 5-position CAGED system. That's the starter point. It teaches you 5 position shapes you can use to play all major and minor scales. He teaches it in the key of G because it fits easily on the neck and makes it easier to understand, at least that's my experience.

Once you learn the 5 positions of the major scale (and also the minor positions; it's one of the positions), you can learn the harmonic, melodic, and natural minor (which you'll have already learned).

Use the G major scale to start. Once you learn the note intervals through dedicated and focused scale practice, as well as the note positions through theory practice, you can move the scales wherever you like and play anything.

Scroll up

RE: Starting with Scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:14 am
by Kenny124 • 2 Posts

Hi Farelli,,, Thanks for Welcoming me and Thanks for taking the time to give me tips and Answer my question!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
915 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly