Opinions on Rocksmith

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:02 am
by Jeffrey • 5 Posts

Very curious, what do you guys think of rocksmith as a "learning" tool for the guitar?

Scroll up

RE: Opinions on Rocksmith

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:05 pm
by aethermachine • 33 Posts

So I've played about 35 hours of Rocksmith according to my Steam. In my opinion, it is not a great learning tool the way it is advertised. Can you learn some things from it? Yes, but the way it is advertised is completely false, I highly doubt its the "fastest" way to learn the guitar. That being said, the game is fun to play, although I have had a hell of a time with latency issues and so have a ton of others, so be careful of that. Depending on what you are into, you may or may not like the amount of songs available. One thing I believe makes it a worthwhile buy if you find it on sale, the amount of real pedals and amps that you can simulate is amazing, I spent many hours just playing backing tracks in the background and using different combos.

The arcade "exercises" don't seem to be more useful than doing actual warm-up exercises. Learning songs can be a pain, I found myself looking up tabs and learning the song THEN playing along to Rocksmith, which should tell you right there the system is flawed. If the game had tablature for the songs it would be a step better.

TLDR: Not a great learning tool though the game is fun. I still believe the "fastest" way to learn guitar is old-fashioned hardcore practice, despite Rocksmith's claim.

Scroll up

RE: Opinions on Rocksmith

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:22 am
by twkyle90 • 2 Posts

Jeffery,

I have been playing Rocksmith for a few months now. I also think that the game has been fun.

The technique games they use for teaching scales, slides, chords, etc are not the greatest tools for learning. For example while playing scale racer you end up crashing your vehicle so quickly you never have a chance to immerse yourself into learning the scales. I found that very frustrating so I started to search for online lessons and stumbled upon Pebber Brown. So far his whole concept of open courseware has been a godsend. So the fact that I am looking for better sources of learning the guitar should tell you about the limitations of Rocksmith as a teaching aid.

I think the best part of Rocksmith is probably the Tone Builder like the other post says. Secondly if you like the songs packs available it's really fun to just play the songs your interested in. Rocksmith drawbacks here are it masks your guitars true sound vs you plugging into a real amp. I play on my real amp to cross check my playing to really hear what I sound like without the computer corrections. Without playing on a real amp I find it difficult to learn what my guitar really sounds like, wouldn't learn how to adjust my guitar volume and tone, and wouldn't learn how to manipulate my amp settings either. Rocksmith simply has you turn your guitar settings to full volume full tone and its computer magic takes care of the rest. It's been a lot of learning so far to play in the real world...

I bought mine online through the PS4 for 19.99. I then purchased a few song packs. The important thing is probably whatever keeps you engaged in picking up the guitar.

Hope that helps,

Twkyle90

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 126 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: