Vibrato?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 12:44 am
by Blayze • 32 Posts

I have been spending a significant amount of time on vibrato lately. It is not easy to do haha. I am getting the hang of using my left hand wrist muscles to rotate and apply vibrato to an unbent note. I am, however, struggling with using the same muscles to rotate during bent notes. I just to not understand how to apply the rotation once I have the not bent. I guess it is a mental block. I have a tendency to use my finger muscles instead...I was wondering how you guys practice vibrato and if anyone had any advice on how to conquer this issue. Thanks!

Scroll up

RE: Vibrato?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 12:46 am
by Blayze • 32 Posts

Damn, did not see the Q&A section. Should have posted these in there. Sorry guys!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 1:46 am
by Adam (deleted)

For the most part, I use a "B.B. King style" Vibrato: My thumb actually comes OFF the back of the neck, accompanied with a tight, focused shake.

Other times, like when I bend with my pinky, I will sometimes use my WHOLE ARM, or I'll pivot/vibrate from the knuckles & tendons in just my FINGERS.

To practice, I always try it slow and VERY EXAGGERATED in order to "program" the motion into my brain. I will simply bend the note to a desired pitch, release and then bend again to MATCH the pitch, repeating this over and over.

Don't worry about posting in the wrong Thread, Pebber is able move these, if necessary!

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS--Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 4:48 am
by chrishorton • 17 Posts

One exercise a teacher gave to me once to get the wrist twist correct, was to crank the guitar, as he called it.

As you start the vibrato, try pulling the guitar neck up a little as u go up, and relax it down. Exaggerate at first,
then ull find the more you practice you actually use less and less of the crank and be able to launch straight into
the vibrato.

Cheers,
Chris Horton

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 8:43 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I too love the BB style (thumb off the back of the neck) vibrato...very wide and nice...BB puts vibrato to an A note, and there is a C somewhere in there.

I always admired Yngwie's vibrato as well.

STFU! - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 6:09 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

This whole entire forum is one BIG Q&A - post anything anywhere!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 8:40 pm
by No name specified • ( Guest )

for me, I thought vibrato just came very naturally. I just saw strings players and holdsworth do it the way they do--the rocking/grab,pulling thing. is there more to it than that other than where to use it musically--more to it technically?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 30, 2010 8:42 pm
by Timotheedle42 • 2 Posts

I posted that without realizing that I wasn't logged in^^^

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:03 am
by Adam (deleted)

Pebber,

Blayze admitted he should have put this in the Q & A Thread. I thought there's a way you can move it there, yes?

Anyway, I'm not sure how "natural" Vibrato is (in a sense of developing one). However, I will say that I began to use a "B.B. King Style" Vibrato BEFORE I knew what it was called. In fact, it wasn't until recently that I described it as "B.B. King Style" Vibrato!

Vibrato, in my opinion, gives one's playing a "personality." As a matter of fact, one of the BIGGEST identifiers of a Pebber Brown tune is KILLER Vibrato.

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS--Pebber Brown

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
575 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia