Any advice for deloping Melodic skillset of improv

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:12 pm
by nickjacquet (deleted)

Ok....so I have spent a shit load of time on Musictheory.nets interval ear trainer to the point where i can go for like a 100+ interval recognitions w/o making a mistake..I know all my scales backways frontways sideways and slantways...(Memorized the Segovia Maj/melodic minor scale book from doing it cover to cover every day) have nailed down the single string open-string pedal scale picking excercises for the entire odrer of #'s & b's from doing it every day (subject to the scales where each open strings have membership....Beat the hell out of the order of #s/b's using the seven different 3 N.P.S scale forms....Furthermore I have the 5 Caged shapes down well but not to the level that I have the other scale forms (I mostly just focussed on the Caged Shapes built on the I & V barre w/ root on base E) And fwiw, I also blasted my way through the 14 POS system to learn all my 12 Maj (7th)....12 min (7th)....12 V7th's...3 dim7th...& 4 Aug arpeggios across the four octaves on my six string...All that shit is great but I still am not at the point where I can effortlessly hear melodies in my head (that are built on the harmonic underpinning's of what I am trying to improv over) and then instantly and w/o considerable thought execute said melodies w/o lagging behind...falling mentally "out of Pocket" of where I am as the Changes are Changing///what the hell can I do about this....I have been throwing every fabric of my being @ guitar for the past 2 years...(practicing my ass off...talking 4 semesters of theory classes to get from cover to cover in the Green Tonal Harmony book by Koska and Payne) Anyway I dont think I am capable of doing anything more in these areas than I already am doing and wonder why I still suck so much...tho to be honest two years ago I didnt even know what a power chord was/how to play one...so I remind myself to be greatful for the strides I have made...nevertheless this is one area that i am desperate to gain much greater proficiency @...Any Advice anyone?

Scroll up

RE: Any advice for deloping Melodic skillset of improv

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:11 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

I may be wrong but you may have crammed too much into just two years. I'm sure some other have good advice for you..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:39 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Probably the best advice is stop doing all that stuff and start playing music. Play over backing tracks. Create. Join a band. Start a band. Get on stage and play in front of people. You can always come back to all this stuff. I would dedicate most of my guitar time to learning to improv over backing tracks. It's trial and error. But I understand. It is very difficult to "create" which is what you are doing when you improv. But, just like the other things, give it time and practice it and it will develop.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:46 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Ursin knows whats up. My advice is about the same but even more primitive. Now that you have all this knowledge, go find a drummer, find a room to jam in where you wont get the cops called on you, and then just start banging out some riffs and jam on it. STOP OVER ANALYZING shit dude - you have to sit there in the fucking room with a drummer and just bang it out. "What do I play???" FUCK YOU!
DONT ASK THAT QUESTION. JUST FUCKING DO IT.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:21 am
by nickjacquet (deleted)

I dont have access to a drummer A.T.M....So I found a customizable drum machine online and starting today I am going to try using it instead of a metronome...but I do have a good friend back home who is a bitchin drummer (he went to Berklee)...Incidently he was the person who helped me first get into guitar...which he is WAAAY better than me @ b/c i still suck

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 351 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly