And Just when I thought my timing was the bees knees.....

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:38 pm
by nickjacquet (deleted)

I guess I have no one to blame for this but my self...And I thought timing was my strongest point musically... The reason that I know my timing is still shit is because I struggle with controling/inserting rests in my playing...I was pretty convinced that tuplets was something I seemed to be pretty decent @ (ie numbers of 1-8 @ moderate tempos) But that was when using rhythms w/o rest. Take the following 16th note 4/4 two measure rhythm....I feel like I would have to shed rhythms like this individually for a reasonable ammount of time just to get them in pocket & upwards of 120 B.P.M. I noticed that I sometimes have trouble accurately counting 4 or more subdivisions of beat when I am not playing something on the first chunk of the beat...Why Is it that I feel it to be a necessity to do some physical action (that produces an effect that is audible to me) on the first of however many units I am subdividing a beat into in in order for me to be able to accurately and evenly count the rest of that beat?

A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------o|
E|-3-3-3-3-----3-%-3-3----3-3-3-%---%-%-%-%-|--%-%-%-3---3-3-%-3----3-3-1-1----1-1-1-1--o|
just assume these two measures are straight 16th notes and that a "%" connotes a 16th note rest

Also it occured to me that I have been operating under what I suspect to be an in-accurate sub-concious notion that to "rest", means to do nothing. And that therefore in order to practice rests you dont really have to do anything..but when I try to do them even @ like 120 B.P.M say @ 4 notes/beat I get into trouble..Since when should the act of doing nothing be harder for me & require much more concious effort for me, than actually having to do something for that little nano-blip of a beat or unit of time?

Scroll up

RE: And Just when I thought my timing was the bees knees.....

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Hmmmm.....

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 64 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: