Advice on where to start?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 am
by John1234 • 9 Posts

Hello, i'm not sure on where i should start or plan my routine, i have 3 hours free each day when i get back from college in which i would like to practice guitar. The Daily Practice Routine is very well laid out but still confuses me slightly; if some one could come up with a beginners plan for me i would be very appretiative. Also should i focus on one thing in each module (e.g. trills) but only do one variation of it or all variations?

Last edited Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 am | Scroll up

RE: Advice on where to start?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:22 am
by John1234 • 9 Posts

Lastly, once i have practiced something for a long time and got all of the variations down (lets say trills again) do i remove that from my routine and start on something else e.g. spiders or begin to add more exercises on top of what i already have down?

Last edited Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:49 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

Hi John1234,

What do you want to do/outcomes/goals/etc...? Where do you want to be in 5 years?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:42 am
by John1234 • 9 Posts

My aim is to become a well rounded guitar player and to understand all aspect of it. At the moment when i look at a guitar i dont understand how people can play, i know it takes alot of hard work and im set on putting the time in to improve my skills. I haven't planned that far ahead but im not aiming to become professional; im learning guitar becasue i love music and want to be able to jam with my friends who have been playing guitar for almost 10 years.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

module 1 picking single string down up alt - timings

adjacent down up alt - timings

non adjacent down up alt - timings

Trills maybe a few spiders

6 months

work towards 5 mins each trill exercise

You will struggle to fit all that into three hours

just finished doing down picking 1/1 to 10/1 each string 45 mins and that's moving through quickly

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

"I'm learning guitar because I love music and want to be able to jam with my friends who have been playing guitar for almost 10 years."

Well, it sounds like you want to have fun with your friends and thats really what its all about. So, what kind of music does your group of friends play? Is it classic rock, metal, blues, country, jazz, classical music, etc...?

It's good to narrow it down first to what music you are interested in. From there I would make a list of your favorite songs and/or songs that your friends always play. Say, make a list of ten songs.

Depending of your level of playing make sure the songs are in your reach. You don't want it to be too difficult.

Again, if you are a beginner, you might want to take some lessons from someone to help you get a better perspective of where you are and where you want to be. Have you thought about taking lessons with Pebber online? When you take the time to watch some of his videos on Youtube, you'll see that he has a real ability to instruct all levels and different styles with authority. This guy knows his stuff.

I would be careful, however. If you dive in to his modules it can be a big undertaking and you might feel that its a little bit too daunting. Yet, at the same time if you like the challenge of working hard on your technique and have the concentration necessary, then jump in and swim with the rest of us because its very addicting!

I hope this helps.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am
by John1234 • 9 Posts

A wide range of genre's funk rock, blues, country etc.. I was thinking about taking lesson with him however i am short on money this month due to rent! I will most definatly pay for lessons at some point once i have my financial situation sorted out aha! I totally agree that pebber knows his stuff, he is a musical genius and i think its great that he is giving out this information for free! I hear what your saying about it being daunting, theres so much stuff i need to learn both on the guitar and off (music theory). I am more than happy to put in the hours as i am selling my TV for an amp to get rid of distractions; i just need something to start me of, could you possible give me a sample of where to start considering i have 3hours free a day and up to 6-7 on the weekends. You have been very helpful many thanks:)

Last edited Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 am
by chacal • 19 Posts

I am a beginner also with about the same amount of practice time available. If you go to Pebber's channel on You Tube and watch "MODULE 1 PRACTICAL" Parts 1-a, 1-b, 2, 3, 4, and 5. I think it is an excellent primer for the daily routine because you practice along as if you were in a real lesson. Here is the link to 1a. Good Luck and stick with it because it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgahMF-m...be_gdata_player

If you are not thinking about the guitar every 30 seconds then you are not concentrating.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:13 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Use the Modules, they work pretty well.
If your just starting try to break everything up evenly until you see whats
going on.

Ultimately....

Its technique you want to get down.
"if you cant play it...you cant play it"

The Modules will get you there.

Also after a month or two getting the idea of the Modules then we can talk about how to fine tune your time.

Trills are a must. They will strengthen your left hand. Scalpel Picking exercises as well.
If I had only two exercises I was given to do I would choose the trill and alternate picking exercises across the strings.

I hope this helps some....

Also take a look at Pebbers videos....he shows how to practice the Modules. Dont forget to download ALLLLLLL the free stuff. keep it in a seperate file on your desktop. Thats what I do. Also start writting out the scale patterns. Man there is a lot there to do...lol.

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:40 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

There is only ONE way to do it right. Just remember that.
If you want a step by step method then download and watch
all my shit. If you dont know where to start, try all downstrokes
on an open string. You will get bored and start fucking around
and riffing and noodling. Then you will still suck for that much longer.
It works this way 100% of the time. The more you fuck around
the longer you will suck. The more random shit you practice
the more you will not make steady progress at all. The more
consistent shit you practice will drive you forward successfully.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 9 Guests are online.:
McFly

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 416 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly