All Upstrokes - All Downstrokes at 70bpm

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 pm
by GuitarStyles88 • 19 Posts

Just started on the b string went up with all upstrokes then came back down from the g string all downstrokes. Usually I practice on each string all the way.

2 Questions

1. Should I just place all my practice vids in one thread or is it fine making new threads each time?

2. With each new video I get new things to practice but with the same time constrants. My question is how should I go about my practice? Just practice each thing for a short time during my 1 /12hr practice time or select certain things to practice for a long time during that time?

Thanks in advance to your responses

Last edited Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:05 pm | Scroll up

RE: All Upstrokes - All Downstrokes at 70bpm

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi GuitarStyles88!

Keeping at it, I see,,,and I am LOVING it! Before I get to your questions below, I just wanted to point out the following:

1) Place the camera back a couple of feet, so we can see the entire fretboard. Your right-hand-technique is clearly visible throughout this video, but we only get snippets of your left-hand technique.

2) You are "flicking up" on those upstrokes, so try using a more "smooth" approach by focusing only on your thumb and index finger (and not the wrist).

3) There are certain notes that are "staccato," while the rest of the notes ring out nicely. Try letting each note ring and decay evenly. For example: On those descending exercises, this will require you to move your left arm down the neck much quicker. Play 4 evenly-spaced notes, quickly move left arm & fingers to next position (keeping those fingers as close as possible to the fretboard), and continue to execute the pattern.

Now, on to your excellent Questions!:

Zitat
1. Should I just place all my practice vids in one thread or is it fine making new threads each time?

Make a new thread each time. This way, others can post videos of themselves performing the same technique. This way, there is one thread for everyone's "Upstrokes at 70-BPM" and a separate thread for "Chromatic Warm-Up Exercises," so on, and so forth.

Zitat
2. With each new video I get new things to practice but with the same time constraints. My question is how should I go about my practice? Just practice each thing for a short time during my 1 /12hr practice time or select certain things to practice for a long time during that time?

This answer varies from player-to-player, and it also depends on what technique(s) you are working on. For example: I generally believe that practicing each exercise EVERY DAY is the way to go; breaking exercises down to 5-minute intervals. Having said that, there are times when I would just sit there and grind out Sarod picking for the entire practice session, especially when I was first introduced to this technique. If I had to make a choice, I would prefer the first method: Break down each exercise to 5-minute intervals.

THANK YOU SO MUCH...KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!

Scroll up

RE: All Upstrokes - All Downstrokes at 70bpm

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:56 am
by GuitarStyles88 • 19 Posts

Makes sense, I will most likely go the 5 min each route and position the camera better next time. I plan to also pay closer attention to not flicking up with my wrist and making that smoother. I noticed it myself a few times but didnt give it much thought. Lastly did not realize the 3rd point was a problem, I will most definitely work on improving that. Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:58 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 144 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: