thoughts on learning bass at the same time ?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:16 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Anyone think that learning both the bass and electric/acoustic guitar at the same time act as a synergy or just delays results in both instruments ?

I believe learning another instrument especially bass would provide for a better understanding of music.
I also say this because I noticed Pebber's techniques on the bass are similar to what we do here. So by having different lengths of finger stretches, picking, etc you end up using your muscles a little bit differently which MAY create a more adaptable nervous and musculoskeletal system

Scroll up

RE: thoughts on learning bass at the same time ?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:00 am
by Cormac • 12 Posts

If you practice bass for one hour a night, then that is one hour less that you will have to practice guitar. In the LONG RUN, learning bass WILL help to reinforce your knowledge of harmony and the fretboard, and maybe improve your awareness of rhythm if you play with a drummer regularly.

If you are just starting out, then yes, it will help to develop strength and co-ordination in your left hand (if you are right-handed) for guitar. But once you have reached a very basic level of technique it won't really help so much any more. It definitely wont help improve your legato playing, picking, bending, sweeping, improvisation, chord playing, scale knowledge etc

Also, you're ignoring the fact that right hand technique for bass is 100% different from guitar, and will take up a lot of your time to develop.

I'm currently teaching myself bass from books and from listening to records that I like, as some friends asked me to play bass for their band back in October. I've made decent progress but it has definitely eaten into my guitar time, and I can't really say that it has improved my guitar playing. In fact I definitely do a lot less improv and transcribing for guitar than I would like to be doing.

That said, I think that I have been able to learn bass very quickly because I already played guitar to a semi-decent level, ie knew my scales and modes intuitively in the CAGED system and had spent years transcribing music and playing in bands.

That's my experience anyway, so take what you want from it. Although if you are just starting to learn guitar I wouldn't recommend attempting bass at the same time, as it could be a very long time before you see results on either.

Scroll up

RE: thoughts on learning bass at the same time ?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Why stop there? Stringed instruments have the same geometry so learn the fretted instrument family! Guitar, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Uke then the non fretted instruments as Violin, Cello and Upright Bass! Why not add piano as well! You will only become a MUCH better musician in the long run. Now the only thing stopping you is how much time you actually have. If you barely have any time then its all wishful thinking. If you have a LOT of free time you can do it.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 431 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: