Classic Jazz influences - Joe Pass

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 26, 2017 2:20 pm
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

A Little "Jazz" is good For the soul. "As Time Goes By", I realize how much I really like the Classic Jazz Guitar. Hope you do as well. Let me know your thoughts

Scroll up

RE: Classic Jazz influences - Joe Pass

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 27, 2017 2:35 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi BillyRae!

Looks like the hands are feeling better! I really like "As Time Goes By." Such a great, great song. I watched your video twice: Once as is, and again with the actual Joe Pass version behind it. Now, aside for the speed of Joe Pass's single-note runs (which is why he's one of the greats), you play along VERY nicely.

I was inspired and encouraged. Thank you for sharing!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 27, 2017 3:00 am
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

Thanks so much Adam. I tried it with a 60-65 bpm drum track. I liked the bounce from the Tuplet cadence. Sounded more authentic JP but this freehand version allowed some pace variation I liked over the entire length of the piece. Bit short on content but I didn't want to go longer than 3 min. or so. Maybe I'll go back & double down and bring the drum track along as a second segment just to accent the front half. Maybe fade it in for a chorus or two, then let it fade back out in a finish segment. Not sure if you know "They Can't take that away from Me" Joe did. I'm working on that one. Seems to have 3 very distinct segments in terms of voicing. Let you know how it goes. Anyway cheers and thanks for taking a look. Comments help a lot!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:36 am
by heyman • 60 Posts

Nice job sir! Thank's for the intro. to Joe Pass. His picking seems effortless.

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 pm
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

Thx Heyman. If you look about youTube under Joe Pass, you will find a LOT of material. Even a full course on jazz related production. His style is not so popular today, neither is classic Jazz for that matter, but it's a musical time I really enjoyed in my early life. I hope you can latch on to him just a little. At your young years his speed, accuracy and depth of chord knowledge, jazz chords applications especially, could prove worth the time spent as you mature into whatever "Style" you will eventually become. Good guy to have in your back pocket of knowledge.

If you get the opportunity, please head to my page for a look once in a while or subscribe if you wish. I don't post often but I like feedback when I do. Would appreciate yours. Just look for Bill Hay on YouTube. Sorry I can't post the link here. Too Many already.

Cheers for now. Keep on stroking that axe.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:36 pm
by heyman • 60 Posts

Thanks! Joe Pass was a cord master. Speaking of cords: PB just put a video on YouTube called "Modern Chord Voicings". Man, I get what he's saying. Applying it in context seems remote, for now.

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:55 pm
by BillyRae • 24 Posts

One must always remember PB is out there ahead of us all. He's wired a little different than the rest. Most interesting to see where his mind takes him. Think that's maybe what I like about him. Thinks the Concept

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 111 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: