Floating fingers

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:20 am
by mitch2209 • 3 Posts

Hello,
I suffer from having my non-fretting fingers 'float' away from the fretboard when they are not pressing down on a fret, with my pinky forming the classic 'cup of tea' pose in particular. I was wondering if I could expect them to become more controllable and hover above the fretboard if they were stronger as a result of doing some serious trill exercises? I'm a beginner and I have terribly weak and undeveloped fingers. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks.

Scroll up

RE: Floating fingers

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Spiders & ladders will fix that. Particularly spiders.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:04 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Another good thing to try is to reduce the pressure you use with your left-hand fingers. If one finger is pressing down too hard, it can cause another to lift too far from the fretboard when you release it. Try fretting a note and then picking it. Then keep reducing the pressure you're using to fret the note while continually picking. Do this until the note goes dead. You need no more pressure than just a bit more than this to fret the note.

Also, try and play really slowly so you can accurately control your left hand fingers. I tried this for a couple of months last year and it really helped with my floating pinky - still not perfect, but much better than it was previously. Once the pinky has lifted too far off the fretboard, it's too late to fix it - so you have to be consciously aware of it's motion when your training it and ensure it lifts no further than necessary.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

The only cure is to literally start over from the beginning and play in ultra slow motion all the time with extreme attention to the problem. There - I said it. Thats all you have to do. Most people cant do it though and they forever have a problem. Period!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:57 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Pebber is right...

Trills help too...

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:21 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

Concentration...

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
195 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia