Picking Assymetry

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I noticed recently while working on the whole picking sub-division 1-10 pick/beat thingy that I am a lousy picker in contexts where I am expected to alternate pick my way through beats in a non-palendromic fasion. For instance; take the following measure of 4/4

[8th rest, 8th note] [8th rest, 8th note] [8th note, 16th, 16th][8th note, 8th note]

By palendromic, I mean a pattern that maintains consistancy in the face of being fliped around backwards. FWIW, I am starting to gravitate away from such symettry both tonaly and rhythmically in my phrasing b/c I dont find it to be very melodic.

In Troy Statna 's Speedy Lead book he says that for rhthyms like 8---16,16 to go D--du for that beat...

Thoughts anyone?

Scroll up

RE: Picking Assymetry

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 08, 2013 10:09 am

Also what about for phrases that not only involve severe rhythmic assymetry but also have rests of variable duration sprinkled in there...perfect example of what I mean would be the guitar riffery at the begining of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGaSPGLYrLM

Do I need to maintain Strict Down,up,down,uppery in order efficiently pick such phrases @ 100+ B.P.M?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 09, 2013 6:53 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Symphony X...cool band. I was in a band with their original singer from their debut album, Rod Tyler. That band was called Sun Burns Red. Good times!

Anyway, when picking a rhythm like this, do whatever you need to make it happen. Sometimes I'll start things on an up stroke, or two down strokes followed by an upstroke. Whatever strokes you need to make to play it properly do that.

When we talk about strict alternate picking, it's generally in the context of scale practice or soloing

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Ursin,That must have been so cool !!! More and more it seems to me, that a lot of the best guitarists in this world are part of some inner eclectic circle seeing as they all at some point seem to know each other...If it were not for Pebber, I dont think I ever would have found the path that leads to all I want from my instrument. Musical purpose and intentions are worthless without a path to bring them about. I guess the real issue I face with the picking is useing the picking hand to create rests not the left hand...Perhaps I need to take another look at my staccato.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Yeah man. Rod was totally cool. Great singer. His performance on that first Symphony X record isn't really what he is all about. He's more of a bluesy, soulful, type singer instead of the straight ahead "opera rock" type things. I haven't heard from him in a while. I believe he moved to Florida.

Anyway, the key is to not only get the pick working, but use both of the hands to control the starts and stops. I notice that I lift my fret hand up slightly to mute the string off. Sort of like when you are sweeping.

-Ursin
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 27, 2013 3:37 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts
Thanks UDR for that response - my take on it is simple. 4 styles of picking I do/study/teach and thats it: Alternate, Scalpel, Sarod and Directional. All have value and have their advantage and disadvantage in music. Learn all, study all, practice all and play all and let the music dictate which technique to use but dont be fooled by something being "easier" at first than another technique because the secondary technique may prove to be more accurate in the long run.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
93 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 109) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly