RE: Picking across strings

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:30 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks for listening and for the kind words!

Yeah, been practicing that Em sequence for quite some time. Still not quite where I want it to be, but getting there. At any rate, I'm glad my stuff inspired you to do your own. To be honest, for the last few months I haven't been doing anywhere near as much practice as I used to. However, what I seem to have managed is to relax (at times, at least) at little, so am able to play a little more fluidly in the past.

Glad you liked it - looking forward to hearing something by your good self!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:32 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Wow well done man! Thanks for posting show me that again that i have a long road to go :)

Grtz Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:23 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Ha ha! Don't we all? I'm very far from satisfied with my own playing. There are people on this forum far far more accomplished than me, and I'm sure they'd say the same thing. Guess it's all about the journey, which to my mind means have fun and make music along the way, no matter how much better you'd like to be able to execute something.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:28 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I think you've said that very well!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:54 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks :). I think I'm probably more-or-less paraphrasing Scottulus here.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:19 pm
by wetduck (deleted)

HI everyone :) Quack quack time to put up or shut up ! lol Here my first video .. more of a experiment on how to post one . I really want to learn to get better !!! and get involved here with everyone.... I look forward to posting lots more as i learn and improve. and welcome any feed back ! First ! I'm no pro player... never been in a band... probably never will :) but i do love everything guitar !!! and plan to grow weekly as a player till i die lol lol im 42 so being a rock star is probably out of the question ... but i feel i have a limited time to get the fingers flying!!!! before its to late to do so... So i come to the mountain !!! in search of the Master !!

Just a first of many video's if this works out !!! and encourage everyone to post more video's. I'm a very private person, and work hard to be invisible on the net !!! no Facebook nothing!!! no pic's lol so if i can do it !!!! so can you!!! :) I look FWD to getting to know all of you much better ... and a shout out to the wonderful people i've met so far!!! Quack

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:31 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

this is a fine start now just do it just like that for like the rest of your life...And your then fingers will fly like the ducks of winterspast

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:34 pm

I cannot quite tell if you are doing elbow sometimes...but if you are...I beg you to not...forarms rotationary muscles are best for trying to go lickety split...like turning a key actually...its a muscle thing like when you shiver from being outside in the cold...its lightning quick twich...and it doesnt require any exertion when you do it as such.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:31 pm
by wetduck (deleted)

thanks for the input ! Agreed... my first video doesn't really show much :) but when i do analyze my picking at speed...not just running the pent. i have a good mixture of scalpel and sarod. well the rotation is there..but i've never really tried to develop it... as i never new it existed lol a guitar teacher i had years ago once told me when he plays fast ...its a controlled twitching of his wrist is going on... The thought stuck with me i guess... i'll post a video for ya on my movements... and you can tell me ... ive never really had to think about my picking. i just played over the years... and it happened lol but as i try to cleanly break 100 bmp's 4 notes a beat, on the scales i do know!!! i do see where my hang up are :) and now need to fix a couple of habit's i may have acquired :) i do love the sound of Sarod :) but never needed to play that fast.... never wanted to be a Shredder... was more drawn to strumming and singing in my early years...then to the blue side of things :) so anything ive needed so far to play. didn't need a flurry of note's

But now as i love the funk .blues and and jazzier sounds . i need to go faster lol as the ideas i hear in my head.. are faster then my execution for the first time in my life... ill probably never need to go faster then 115 bmp's but.... im open to .... shooting for the moon... the next video ill show you what might be my sarod lol but really i think is a blend of everything, when i really try to break it down... thanks for watching guys :) quack quack!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:58 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Nice work Mr Duck. That pentatonic exercise at 16ths at 100bpm is quite a challenge. Very impressive, and very clean sounding. If you can do that at 100, there are probably simpler licks that you can do cleanly at considerably higher speed. (I beg to differ with Nick here, but I really don't think there's any need to be worrying about Sarod - use whatever picking technique feels natural and gives you the tone you want with the ease you want.)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 am
by wetduck (deleted)

Thanks guys !!! great feedback !! cant wait to practice today :) dam work thing ! its starting to get in the way of my guitar time. I have found ... 1 of the things im stumbling on was... the B and E string the string tension was to soft...when at 100bmp's as i love to really dig into the strings never had a problem with them before... but it really was a different feeling when i hit thou's strings, compared to tension difference between the other strings when switching so i up'd a gauge problem fixed :) anyone notice this too? or am i going crazy lol Quack quack !

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:59 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Heavier gauges is one solution, but that's going to make your bends harder to intonate properly. If you can still pull them off in tune, then great, problem solved. If you can't, you might want to grip the pick closer to the tip so that it snags less of the string. Just my 2 cents.

Instead of reading this you should be practicing. Slowly. With a metronome.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:02 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey Wetduck

Nice vid you mentioned your biggest problem is the pick that moves between your thumb and finger well i had the same thing 2 months ago when i started to use a pick (before that i used always my nails cause i love to fingerpcik). Well than i saw those dava picks PB is using this is a outcome i highky reccommend these. Another idea i saw on a vid from McLaughlin is that he makes scraches on his pick this will do the job maybe as well for you.

Just some small tips from a guys thats sucks as well on the guitar

grtz Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:08 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

I would lift the neck as it seems you are leaning to compensate reaching around the neck.
as for the pick problem try playing as light/quite as possible while maintaining speed,
people have a tendency to dig in/play to hard. when speeding up. just a few things to try.
nice video keep at it

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:17 am
by wetduck (deleted)

Thanks deltadiscos :) great advice !! before reaching my top speed. the pick and the hand are very relaxed feels effortless! just enough pressure to hold it :) almost don't even know i'm holding it . a couple months ago , before really breaking down my picking down. i held the pick a lot shallower and it works for me :) but ive changed that over the summer. and now have a lot more of the pick exposed. Because of the tracking issue !! the movement my arm has to make. in order to position myself best ,for attacking that string set.... i hope that make sense lol lol i do see daily improvements in all the things im working on :) and should push past 100 bmp soon , even if only small jumps lol going to a heavier gauge string this week, has slowed me a bit. As my hands get use to the extra strength needed. but today im expecting to be back at par :) bends didn't suffer :) trills did lol quack quack funny thing happened last night !!! ! I've been trilling my fingers for weeks now !!! not focusing to much on the 3rd finger as its the naturally strong finger. last night i discovered its the finger hold me up for breaking my speed lol lol hammered it last night so so so hard last night .....and punished it for its bad behavior !!! unacceptable . quack quack

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:11 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Are you doing ladders / spiders as noticed your fourth finger moving along with your third.
Try to keep the pinky tucked in, which mean slowing right down and concentrating.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:11 am

There definitely is something weird about the 3rd finger....I am not sure what it is though

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:23 am
by wetduck (deleted)

I'll keep a eye on that 3rd finger today !!! yes working :) the spiders and ladders :) both have made a huge difference so far :) Thanks guys !! for the guidance. ill keep working hard ..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:51 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Looks to me like a steady practicing time. Good job and a nice video thanks for posting it!

Is it a paid lesson? Pebber is playing so it seemed like it and I don't recall hearing it before, though Pebber has hundreds of videos and I can't remember them all. The idea to play along just struck me as really inventive and motivational way to learn.

Keep up the good work!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:50 am
by wetduck (deleted)

NO its free !!!! and its great . Just like everyone ive ever seen lol. ill post a link :) on the days where i need motivation, or just have only have a little bit of time. this a been a life saver lol .... i've always been bad at practice... and these group of video's literally taught me how to be daily ACCOUNTABLE to myself !and to practice every day! id just press play and watch vid's 1&2 well most of 2 lol lol there i reach i point, where i need to stop the vid and continue on from there at my speed. and on to other practice :) as now im in a groove !! for Me !! the thing i like most about Pebber's video's is listening to his story's!!!!. and watching him stare back at the screen lol lol (hypnosis) i really get to live out his experiences... and what it like to play with all the Heaviest players in the world. and to hang with them and here there wisdom !! and the real work it takes !!! to master 1's instrument .... NO bullshit !!! Real kungfu.

I can keep up till 100 bmps after that ! and i think this is important lol lol I ghost the rest !! Pretend im playing that fast and imagine it's me... !!! and fake it.. while chugging with the pick in time :) until i can jump back in with the double picking and Sarod practice !!! the funnest part :) then i play along until i really just need to stop !! and work on things :) enjoy if you haven't seen yet !

p.s Pebber if your program !! zero 50 bmp to hero!LoL was play along !all of it !!! filled with your awesome!!! no shit attitude lol youll be a millionaire many times over !!! if your not already lol

p.s.s Thanks for the many many hours of selfless work :) all the time in the world for ya brother !!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 pm
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Thanks, these are great and I wonder how I never found these!? (Let's blame it on Youtube) Those pentatonic shapes and using the open strings to play pentatonic scale notes was just great. Just couldn't make out the note groupings so I listened to that part. And man those tempo changes, first going at 100 bpm and then 192! Suddenly the A min pentatonic isn't just a scale, it's an obstacle!

The A min pent. shape at 192 bpm, (16th notes) really is something else. Picking an open string at that tempo is what people usually end up doing, so any type of across the string movement with accuracy really is an ear-opener.

And yes I really like all the stories that Pebber tells, it is just something that makes those videos stand out. I've been trying to find the video where Pebber tells a story of how he went to buy water at night, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it is! It was a funny story and just something that makes you chuckle for a long time! Those kinds of things just have that something extra written all over them! Makes you just appreciate the effort of making those videos so much more!

Now have a happy practicing ahead of you. Like you said I used to take any shortcut I could in practicing too. I remember how one of my friends gave me Troy Stetina's books almost 20 years ago and wrote the modes for me on paper over 20 years ago (I still have that paper! He wrote it from memory!) And I still didn't feel like practicing too much! Then I found out some of my friends practicing and right away when I heard them practice I felt inspired. One of them told me that once he had his left hand in cast, he sat in his rented garage and for months (or some long time can not remember exactly) just practiced his picking. When Pebber played in the first video just the picking practices it reminded me of that! It is about getting started and about commitment! If you don't feel inspired to start, you don't start, but once you see and hear something that inspires you to begin, then it is a whole different matter!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:21 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey All,

I followed up the advise given here and i started at 50 BPM 4 weeks ago with 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s on one string and Non-Adjacent strings. Here is a small video at 56 BPM. The last 3 weeks i increased 2 BPM every sunday. This video is only picking on one string i will post a video of Non-Adjacent string picking as well.

My practice routine is at the moment:
5 min 1s, 5 min 2s, 5 min 3s, 5 min 4s on one string. Than i go to the Non-Adjacent execises with the same routine every step 5 min. After that i play pentatonic min scale (the regular pattern) and Major scale as well the regular scale. Followed by about 20 min thrills and a 20 min ladders. Than i try to play some songs which i know. My time is limited cause im working. Above routine takes about 2 hours if i have more time. I will do more exercises and so.

Here the video of exercises 2.31, 2.32 and 2.33

Greetz from Hong Kong this time

Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Sorry guys. Been gone a while. Very busy. I'll try and remain more active. Here is an Yngwie style lick picking across strings.

www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
www.facebook.com/daredevilautopilot
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:29 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Awesome Underoche thats picking!!!! You had probably more notes as me but your movie is 16 sec and mine about 5 min :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:39 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I try and make the videos quick. No one watches the longer videos. I get more views if the video is 19 seconds of playing than 19 minutes of instruction. So I stopped those.

www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
www.facebook.com/daredevilautopilot
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 77 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: