Scalpel/Sarod Music

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:54 pm
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone knew some cool pieces of music relevant to Scalpel/Sarod style picking.

For instance, I would imagine Miserlou by Dick Dale would be a song you could directly apply the Sarod style to.

Scroll up

RE: Scalpel/Sarod Music

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

the whole point behind Sarod style picking is its the fastest way to pick where the two hands can maintain 1-1 correspondence....if you just want to play misirlou...even dick dale stiff arms it.

Last edited Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 am
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

Where did you get the idea that I just want to play misirlou? It was just a vague example of a song that can be played using Sarod-style picking.

I was just curious as to what songs people may have found fun to play using Sarod, I only used misirlou as an example off the top of my head.

I've been focused mainly on Pebber Brown's Picking Technique Vol. 1 for almost 3 years now, I am merely trying to find ideas to apply these techniques Musically.

Sure Misirlou is a very cliche song for fast picking, however I find your response pretty ignorant, if your learning a musical technique you want to be able to eventually use it to make music.

Furthermore, just because Dick Dale plays it that way....doesn't mean you have to.

Last edited Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:53 am
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

I suppose stupid questions get stupid answers, i'll just stick to what i'm doing.

I'd delete the thread if I could.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:44 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Actually, I was going to suggest the intro to Little Guitars by Van Halen. There's some nice tremolo picking on the top two strings while he taps out the melody on the bass strings. If I could play Sarod, that's what I'd be trying :).

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:16 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Been swamped at work today but i planned to put links to Pebber playing live. And to McLaughlin. Was a decent question, often takes time to get decent answers. Hit youtube for pebber. It is there.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:25 pm
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

Quote: dlraben wrote in post #6
Been swamped at work today but i planned to put links to Pebber playing live. And to McLaughlin. Was a decent question, often takes time to get decent answers. Hit youtube for pebber. It is there.

Awesome, I'll have to dig some of those up. I'd love to purchase Pebber's Live DVD thats currently backed up with orders.

Quote: Cliff wrote in post #5
Actually, I was going to suggest the intro to Little Guitars by Van Halen. There's some nice tremolo picking on the top two strings while he taps out the melody on the bass strings. If I could play Sarod, that's what I'd be trying :).

That song rocks! Good suggestion :)

Last edited Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
261 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly