Primary and Secondary Chord Functions

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:45 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Chords from our western tonal system are primarily found as tertiary (stacks of 3rds) built from the Major and corresponding minor scales...Their behavior can be understood through what are called primary and secondary functions.

Yes An understanding of chord type and quality is of absolute necessity

Chord---Contentsthereof---------------------------------Notes

I---------Root, Major, Perfect 5, Major 7------------If you see a I, but as a Dominant 7th...it tonicises IV

ii---------Root, minor 3, Perfect 5, minor 7------------If you see a ii, but as a Major, or Dominant 7th...it tonicises V

iii--------Root, minor 3, Perfect 5, minor 7------------If you see a III, but as Dominant 7th...it tonicises vi

IV-------Root, Major 3, Perfect 5, Major 7---------If you see a IV, but as a Dominant 7th...it tonicises a flat vii

V--------Root, Major 3, Perfect 5, minor 7

vi--------Root, minor 3, Perfect 5, minor 7----------If you see a vi, but as a Major, or Dominant 7th...it tonicises ii

vii*-----Root, minor 3, Dim 5, Dim 7-------Can be used to tonicise any key center thats a minor 2nd above either the root, the minor 3, the dim 5, or the dim 7.

Primary funtions deal with how the chords behave within on key center:

Tonic Function Chords
I
vi

Dominant Prep
ii
IV
vi

Dominant

V
Vii*

So the basic formula that drives chord progressions in Western Music is Tonic->X->Dominant->tonic, where X is the thematic meat of the progression...

Secondary functions involve a process known as tonicization: Whereby the Chord tonicized is brought into focus in our ears as our new tonic chord; this is accomplished through the use of either of the Dominant Chords from that closely related key

Closely related keys are keys that are within +/- one accidental from one another

Most commonly found in at least as far as things go in world of classical music is the tonicization of the key of V...This is most common in what is known as the Developmental Section of Sonata Allegro Form.

Scroll up

RE: Primary and Secondary Chord Functions

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

There you see - this is GOOD. WE dont want less we want MORE.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 pm

The video is being shiped in from Madagascar, but with a little patience it should be worth the wait

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Youtube says I need to condense first video before they will upload....I will get to it tommorow

Since this thread represents what is NOT a small topic, I will have to stick it in with one more video to fill in a few details and show the logic that connects C Major to each of the 12 chromatic tones...That shall be the foundation to start off with.

Consider the first video as a teaser for what is to come...I am/was half asleep/exhausted when I made the first video so look for the for the meat and potatos of this threads content in tommorows video.

The explaination in its totality will come in a video I'll have to make tommorow when I am not fried...I worked a night shift all night last night so i am very tired right now...Though I can happily say I get to play guitar 90% of the time at work on these night shifts...b/c its just me there...(-:

Last edited Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:35 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:17 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Looking forward to it. I'd never heard of 'tonicizing' until you mentioned it a couple of days ago.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:01 am

Oh by the bye... I am finally getting on the vids for the Chromatic harmony...aka primary/secondary chord functions thread...I am going to spend the next few hours making them as user friendly and well done as I know how. I promise anyone in these forums who hasnt yet explored what secondary chord functions are...you will never look at the chromatic form the same way again after the watching the videos...

E|-1-2-3-4-/-5-6-7-8/-9-10-11-12---12-11-10-9\-8-7-6-5-\4-3-2-1

You remember this exercise from any PB vids? Wheither playing by tap, by sweep, by legato, or whatever...the videos Ill be finishing in the next few hours will give anyone the tools to turn the chromatic form into their own eruption-eque...melodic compositions.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

Looking forward to learning. :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

Part 4 is where things ar gonna get gnarly...Everybody and their mothers are gonna be getting tonicized...and we shall also examine a few Modulatory devices...How to Shred Neapolitans and cook up our own wedges with French, Italian, and German Augmented 6 chords.

Pretty much every excuse out there that we can conjure for getting chromatic with our harmony.

Last edited Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 70 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: