Daily Practice Routine as Complete Beginner

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:20 am
by Jabby • 4 Posts

Hi everyone!

This will be my 7th week of playing guitar starting this week. I'm 24 years old and it's my first time really sitting down and learning guitar as I wanted a hobby to get me off my computer (I work as a computer programmer). I really enjoy challenging stuff and guitar/music is definitely challenging so I wanted something new. I am very fortunate to have discovered Pebber Brown this early into my guitar playing and I feel like I'm making tremendous progress by developing and working on the techniques and habits that he preaches in all of his videos and etc. I signed up to the online lessons recently and was amazed how much you get for very little money.. it's really great.

Anyway, for the past few weeks I have focused really only on Module 1 & 2, just experimenting around with each part in each of the modules. Since I work full time I usually have around 2-3, sometimes 4 hours a night that I can sit down and attempt to practice and lately I have been practicing while watching TV shows, primarily Right Hand technique. When I first started scalpel picking I was absolutely terrible. I kept dropping the pick, it was scratchy on all 6 strings.. I mean I was just terrible. After this weekend though I feel like I've gotten far better, I'm only getting a little scratching on string 6 (thickest E string) so all though it's taken me weeks to get to this point, it feels like it's slowly starting to pay off.

As for left hand stuff.. I've mainly just been doing the chromatic exercises the best I can.. obviously the beginner chords and have played around a bit with a couple of scales. I've also touched a bit on the spider and ladder exercises.. which all have been great.

I did a search on the forum and noticed Pebber suggested to some people to spend anywhere from 3-6 months minimum on JUST Module 1. Whenever I attempt Module 2 stuff I am starting to see why, I notice that my right hand technique is really holding me back. It's gotten a lot better lately, but it still needs a ton of work. I feel like if I invest a lot more time in right hand it's going to make Module 2 smoother when I start going back to it more.

I know no "rules" really exist to the approach to music.. but I've been watching some people who've taken lessons for years and even though I suck at guitar.. I can't believe how much even THEY suck because they've never been shown anything like Pebber teaches. I've also gone through around 20-30 teachers on YouTube and none of them come close to Pebber, the only other one I liked at all so far was Art-of-Guitar.. him and Pebber so far are the ones who've really worked well for me as they simply teach and don't sugar coat anything which is what I love.. brutal honesty.

So what do you guys think? Should I start investing all or the majority of my practice time on Module 1 and move on to Module 2 come 2018? I should mention as well on the weekends I've been practicing around 6-8 hours a day (early morning, then before I go to sleep). I really do want to get better.. maybe not professional, but "decent".

Thanks a lot!

Last edited Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:28 am | Scroll up

RE: Daily Practice Routine as Complete Beginner

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 pm
by deltadaz • 9 Posts

I would be working module two also. If you are worried in not progressing because of the right hand,
you can allways just stick to chromatic form, spiders, and trills, so you can give the right hand a rest.

but i would also add some chromatic's and ladders in there two, you have a metronome so if your worried about ruining form
then start super slow, like one note every four beats at 60 bpm, that way you can keep an eye on your form.

It will seem super slow but your training your fingers the correct way, and things will soon speed up once you move to 80 then 100 bpm. then move to one note every two beats at 60bpm etc. until your hitting four notes per beat and 100 bpm your starting to fly then.

And you can allways add in the full five position system to learn also.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:49 am
by Jabby • 4 Posts

Thanks, I have been working Module 2 a good amount but feel like my picking/right hand technique was holding me back a lot. I might go back it some more the next couple days as I've devoted a lot of time to right hand the past week or 2.

I've also been doing the spiders a good amount as well as chromatic scale in different ways. As for the 5 position system.. that is definitely something I am hoping to work on more and incorporate into my 1st year of learning/playing.

Anyway, point is I just want to develop the best habits possible early on that I can. I get curious and look at some people who've apparently taken lessons or have been playing for years and I am amazed how much technique they lack compared to what Pebber teaches, it's a real shame and I can see why so many give up on the guitar.

Thanks for your input.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:30 am
by BrianTX • 13 Posts

I try to do as much as I can, but as a beginner, I tend to focus on the basics of motion, meaning I do a LOT of trills, ladders, spider, chromatic scales, etc... which tend to help me build dexterity, strength, speed, accuracy, and flexibility.

I also work with a metronome whenever possible. IF you don't have one yet, get one that is LOUD. I have a small electronic one and I can't hear the damn thing unless my amp is almost turned completely down.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 am
by Jabby • 4 Posts

I started doing the trills a lot lately and it's becoming noticeably smoother to play. My pinky is still just really weak.

I know Pebber said in 1 of his videos that 6 months straight of trills would greatly improve how well you can play. What do you think of that? They're definitely one of the more boring things to do but they really do work and I can't believe how many teachers don't teach them like PB does.

Also does using a metronome with trills benefit timing in the long run?

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
336 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly