Vocals / Piano Lessons

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

Hi guys, do you hapen to know of a good vocal teacher.
Guys like Pebber are so hard to find.

When looking for lessons my bullshit detector goes off so many times, i do not want to learn bad habits or learn from a clown only to realize later that they taught me bs.

Any help is appreciated.

Also any help with good Pianists? any good tutorials? I have been branching out a lot lately and finally, getting a lot of compositions in the mid stages. Need to polish some more non gutiar skills and friggin stop fighjting with my daw sometimes, but thats another story.

Last edited Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am | Scroll up

RE: Vocals / Piano Lessons

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:19 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Liszt is the only teacher worth paying to learn from.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

"Liszt is the only teacher worth paying to learn from."

Yeah, 'cause Liszt is available to give lessons. Maybe this user is looking for some kind of concise, useful information?Y'know, the exact opposite of the condescending trash usually contained in your posts. Didja notice the part in the original user's post about the BS meter? Well, guess who probably isn't coming back... subtract one potential Pebber customer...

Anyways; There are a lot of really great keyboard/piano folks out there. Liszt is not really for someone just starting out, it just isn't. Plus he's dead, so lessons from him just aren't going to happen. The same way Vai and Malmsteen isn't for the beginner guitarist. I guess it boils down to what it is you want to do on the instrument. Do you want to play classical stuff and focus on sight-reading, or are you more interested in composition and improv? Or do you just want some basic skills to help you get a little better at the instrument to help when you are recording? Either way, I bet a google search gets you what you're looking for. Youtube should have some keyboard tutorials, I did a quick search and found there are actually quite a few with really specific topics... Short and to the point as well as free.

In your community, there is probably a conservatory instructor willing to teach you some stuff. Probably the best approach, real human beings can help out quite a bit I find.

As far as great keyboardists/Pianists/Organists to check out, there are a lot to listen to; I don't know what kind of music you listen to but here is a quick list of some pretty excellent musicians

JS Bach, CPE Bach, WA Mozart, Debussey, F Chopin, Art Tatum, Chick Corea, Vitalij Kuprij, Jens Johansen, John Lord, Thelonious Monk, Scott Joplin, Joe Zawinul, Jordan Rudess, Derek Sherinian, etc, etc Really quite a few!

Good luck, and I hope that this helps.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:27 am

You say my posts are condiscending trash...thats weird...not long ago Pebber sent me a commendatory message telling me he loves my recent posts...I think its worth noting that TS has been a member in these forums since long before you showed up. Lastly, I am sick of all the flak that gets shot my way in these forums...I just dont need it...I have enough on my plate right now copping with the psychological ramifications of having to practice 16 hours a day b/c of the social isolation it requires. I have a BS meter to, and it has been firing on all cylanders lately with many posts that I have encountered.

Lest anyone think that this post was intended to convey anger, I feel obliged to mention that the ONLY reason that I decided to make this post, is that I owe it to myself to draw a line in the sand and stick up for myself.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:31 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I worship CPE Bach and I know Pebber is a huge fan as well. I would recommend this to anyone http://www.amazon.com/C-P-E-Bach-Symphon...d/dp/B0000042HP

As far as quality piano/ vocal lessons go, I think Scott had a good point about checking with the university/conservatory in your area for a reputable teacher to help you get started.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Yeah, usually there's some conservatory people in the area with a whole bunch of experience you can draw from, you know they have to teach a lot usually so they most likely have some experience with contemporary stuff and can give a really unique classical insight to it. And yeah CPE Bach has some cool stuff, I used to play Solfeggietto a lot, Olaf Lenk's guitar version blew my mind when I first heard it.

As far as vocal info goes, try searching vocal lessons on youtube, there are literally thousands. Hope that helps.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Not sure if this is what your looking for but this guy has a unique style of teaching..40 odd videos from beginner

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:04 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

And another set of beginner lessons

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:47 pm
by Slashiepie • 118 Posts

Thanks a lot in general guys, you are right i should have written what i was trying to accomplish.
And do not worry i have been on this forums before ;). And i still have enough of Pebber's Stuff to practice for a lifetime.
NicholasJacket enjoy your 16 hours :) I have been there before. And this brings me to a point, the voice is probably not an instrument you can push for 16 hours a day. The pianio is. But i probably wont do it.

Guitar is stil my main instrument. I am branching out becuase i am really getting into composing a lot lately, i am also starting to grasp the theory of how music works.

For the time being i am not aiming to become a piano virtuoso or audition as a vocalist.
I do like to listen to Bach and i like classic. But i am glad I do not have the desire to play that.

What i am looking for in other instruments is: The Pebber approach.

Which resumed really badly is: a lot of well thought excercises that teach you the basics in the most precise and concise way, so that you can advance in the most efficient way, if you really listen and put the effort in.

No Bullshit, No "secret" or magic bullets. Just proper technique and the proper way to train it. With this approach you reach a point where you are not always depending on certain secret or advice and instead are able to figure out things yourself, because you engrained the basics perfectly in your brain (or at least you are trying.) But you know what they are.

I guess it is hard to find something like that. I must say i am spoiled by Pebber.
Anyways those videos and those suggestions look like a good place to start.
I would have thought that maybe Pebber or Ursin knew some good musicians with their approach teaching online like Pebber. But I guess for vocals, one does benefit a lot from face to face lessons.

I must be crazy but i am the type of person that like to do excercises at first. I do not like learning others people pieces, until later on (maybe).

Glad to see the forum is still thriving with life ^^ and btw Ursin you are turning into such a Rockstar. :)

Last edited Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:05 pm
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

Right on SlashiePie, I can definitely relate. You get to a point in your guitar playing where it becomes necessary to absorb as much practical theory as possible in order to really "see" what you can do with your guitar.

Music theory becomes very fun when you understand it properly.

I for one feel training your voice really helps your musical ear too, it has for me. Learning piano can also really refresh your approach to guitar, taking things you learn and applying them to guitar and vice versa.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:49 pm
by Tom (deleted)

I took a short series of singing lessons years ago. This is definitely an instrument where I think a physical teacher is a big help. It's a very physical instrument where you need to relax this and that above the neck and sing from here and there down in the belly. Finally, and this may be highly individual, but compared external instruments like the guitar or piano, where you to some degree hear what the audience hears, I find it very difficult to hear my own voice. (I.e. the recorded voice sounded much different from what I heard.)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I dont know Nick - I did once get a call from Franz Liszt....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6BeZ2mssc

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 pm

this is brilliant!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
130 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly