by uderoche (deleted)

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

RE: Ursin Non-Instructional Video #001

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Yo Ursin, were those symmetrical diminished shapes you were moving around in that tapping lick at the end or minor shapes? Sounded like SD but I couldn't tell whether your pinky was hitting b5s or 5s in relation to your index finger. Looked like you were moving around in various ways while fingering R-2-b3-4 and then either b5 or 5.

Any chance #002 shows us some (rock) improv over a backing track of your choice? Something simple like a vamp designed to practice a single scale/mode and not something elaborate that you would toil over for days until you felt it was perfect. Just spontaneous jamming. I for one would like to be able to compare what I am able to do in an exercise like that to what experienced musicians do when they practice.

PS - thanks for resuming your videos man, keep 'em coming!

Last edited Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:18 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:08 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Looks GREAT MAN!!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:08 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: FRaKh wrote in post #3
Looks GREAT MAN!!

Things are good here in Russia. Government shut down so we gut yacht to eat. Build fire. Comrade get burned in eye by flying ember!!! Hohohohohohohohahahaha cannot get comrade to hospital. Snow too deep. Comrade lose eye.

Use guts of yacht to make strings for guitar. Hands smell like shit. Too cold to finger the difficult Hypodorianphrygianhindu scale.

But we keep trying

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: dlraben wrote in post #2
Yo Ursin, were those symmetrical diminished shapes you were moving around in that tapping lick at the end or minor shapes? Sounded like SD but I couldn't tell whether your pinky was hitting b5s or 5s in relation to your index finger. Looked like you were moving around in various ways while fingering R-2-b3-4 and then either b5 or 5.

Any chance #002 shows us some (rock) improv over a backing track of your choice? Something simple like a vamp designed to practice a single scale/mode and not something elaborate that you would toil over for days until you felt it was perfect. Just spontaneous jamming. I for one would like to be able to compare what I am able to do in an exercise like that to what experienced musicians do when they practice.

PS - thanks for resuming your videos man, keep 'em coming!

Yo...thanks for watching

A lot of this stuff was improvised and the video was somewhere around 20 minutes. I think YouTube only lets me upload 10min videos so I had to edit. Using my iphone and a cheap Peavey amp so please excuse the audio.

Having said that, forgive me if I'm not 100% correct on this. The beginning is W+H, W, W+H fingering which on the E string yields the notes (starting at the 7th fret) B, D, E, G which...could be a number of things, but in my "rock" guitar way of thinking, that's E minor pentatonic. Best not to complicate things. But, it could be C major theoretically speaking.

Anyway, if you continue to use this same fingering in the same spot on the neck, again it could be a number of things, but it takes on a diminished tonality.

Then I go into a W, H, W, W+H fingering on one string.So, now we have gone from fingering 4 notes to fingering 5 and also adding some pull-offs into the mix with the hammers. This is also diminished territory to me.

Really, if we wanted to get specific, it's more half-diminished. That would be Locrian #2 (6th mode of melodic minor) for all the theory professors out there. Yngwie and some of the other neoclassical guys use this scale. Not really in the ways I am here but...

The final run up the neck is more of the 20th century avant garde diminished sound that Lane and Brian started doing.

A lot of this type of thing is trial and error and practice. Sitting around and searching for "that" sound and experimenting with it. Pebber helped quite a bit of course.

Hope this helps and makes sense

Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Yeah man, I followed that. Thanks for taking the time to write out a few of the ideas you were using while messing around for us.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:28 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

Zitat
A lot of this stuff was improvised and the video was somewhere around 20 minutes. I think YouTube only lets me upload 10min videos so I had to edit. Using my iphone and a cheap Peavey amp so please excuse the audio.

Having said that, forgive me if I'm not 100% correct on this. The beginning is W+H, W, W+H fingering which on the E string yields the notes (starting at the 7th fret) B, D, E, G which...could be a number of things, but in my "rock" guitar way of thinking, that's E minor pentatonic. Best not to complicate things. But, it could be C major theoretically speaking.

Anyway, if you continue to use this same fingering in the same spot on the neck, again it could be a number of things, but it takes on a diminished tonality.

Then I go into a W, H, W, W+H fingering on one string.So, now we have gone from fingering 4 notes to fingering 5 and also adding some pull-offs into the mix with the hammers. This is also diminished territory to me.

Really, if we wanted to get specific, it's more half-diminished. That would be Locrian #2 (6th mode of melodic minor) for all the theory professors out there. Yngwie and some of the other neoclassical guys use this scale. Not really in the ways I am here but...

The final run up the neck is more of the 20th century avant garde diminished sound that Lane and Brian started doing.

A lot of this type of thing is trial and error and practice. Sitting around and searching for "that" sound and experimenting with it. Pebber helped quite a bit of course.

Hope this helps and makes sense

That was great stuff Ursin. The peavey didn't sound too bad over my tiny computer speakers!

I just have to ask: when you practice do you usually practice with the distortion or without. Just curious.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

:D

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:59 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

If I had to be honest, I've gone through phases. In the very beginning of playing it was electric guitar clean. In my later teens it was electric guitar always with gain. Same into my early 20's. In my later 20's and into my early 30's I had a few guitars and amps so it would differ from day to day. Some days I'd play clean on a Polytone amp with a Gibson ES-175. Other days I'd crank up a Marshall with a Les Paul.

Nowadays I either practice on acoustic or electric usually with no amp for a few days and then I'll jam on a tiny practice amp. At band rehearsals I crank it loud.\

I have heard suggestions both ways. Some say distortion and delay mask your poor technique. That's true. So, it's best to get the technique clean on an acoustic or clean amp setting. But, if you are a rock player, you need to learn to control distortion and feedback so I would suggest doing that as well.

If you go to play a gig and it's the first time you've cranked your amp, you're gonna sound like crap. Learning to play through with distortion and play through a loud amp is a thing within itself.

So, I guess my suggestion if you wanted it would be to do all of the above.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 am
by Tom (deleted)

I'm waiting till calm Sunday to consume the video in full. Anyway, wanted to just say thanks a bunch for sharing!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Yaaa.....goodt..
Eye gone...bad...

Now need seeing eye penguin for get around in snow....

All frozen mud here....

Call back in Springk....

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:25 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Frakh lookt! I find old picture of Pebber and the boys during Russian winter! Thought I had lost this one. That you on right I think. I heardt those other 3 guys didn't make it but one of them was Vladimir and he was really good at sarod. He got eaten by wild dog. Other 2 shipped to Chernobyl to help clean up. Before my time. I have goodt time now!!!!

Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:30 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Aaahhh yes.....happy times....
I remember....it was warm day...
Goodt memory...
Not wild dog...it was hees pet dog....chuckles...
Chernobyl....yes they still there...90 degrees warmer there.....like Hawaii I am told..

:)

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:04 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Ahhk Goodt!

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 HTTP.JPG 
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
537 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly