Barre Chord wrist & elbow placement

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:14 pm
by Vote_For_Kodos • 23 Posts

As I've been re-evaluating my wrist & elbow technique, I've noticed something about my barre chords, specifically the A chord shape barre chord. I've always had a difficult time making this particular chord sound right, and I've posted a video about the proper placement of the thumb, wrist and arm. I know this is a bit of a basic question, but I thought I'd see what others thought about it as it's bothering me now that I've noticed it.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.
Scroll up

RE: Barre Chord wrist & elbow placement

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I would say moving your elbow outward just to play any chord seems to me to be a bad habit. Get your thumb more up and down on the back of the neck instead of angled or sideways. Your thumb looks really stiff and like you are pushing into the back of the neck really hard. It's more of a clamping type feeling between both the fingers and the thumb. Even distribution of the pressure between the thumb and fingers.

I would practice playing the chord, take your hand off the guitar completely, play the chord, hand off guitar completely, repeat daily...slowly and correctly... for 10 minutes straight and after a few months it should be looking better.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I just realised how much I still suck at complete barres chords...Its like In order to do them I have to stop whatever I was doing in order to cleanly execute the damn things and that ussually breaks the flow of whatever I had been doing...I can function okay if its partiall bars chords...where little to no actuall "barring" is taking place ie

But I always wished I could figure out a reliable way to include the 5th on the upper E string
for the "A" chord form like in the C Major chord below

E|-----------------------------------------0------------(3)---|
A|---7>-the 8ve-------------------------2-------3----5----|
D|---7>--and-3rd-both with-pinky----2-------1----5----|
G|---7-------------------------------------2-------3----5----|
B|---5-------------------------------------0-------2----3----|
E|-------------------------------------------------------"C"--------------|

Also the last few days I have been thinking a lot about past things I have tooted my horn off about on these forums...And I am trying to "grow upp"...These forums are important enough to me that now I am comitted to learning my place in the guitaristic pecking order.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---

Last edited Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:57 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Ursin you mentioned developing a feel for eveness in clampage btw thumb and each of the fretting fingers...do you know any super effective exercises for developing a better awarness for this eveness of pressure? It seems to me that what you are describing is a manner of developing some layer of habit/subconcious awarness for how hard each individual finger should be pressing relative to each other finger that is pressing...I think part of what constrains my playing is a very under developed sense for this kind of control over each finger as multiple are being pressed down.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---

Last edited Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:04 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:31 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

"Also the last few days I have been thinking a lot about past things I have tooted my horn off about on these forums...And I am trying to "grow upp"...These forums are important enough to me that now I am comitted to learning my place in the guitaristic pecking order."

That's cool Nick. But really, there is no pecking order. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We're all here to learn from each other, and we're all competing with only ourselves.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 am
by Justip • 47 Posts

have had the same problem. recently cured by holding the guitar body with pressure against my torso while pulling slightly harder with the fretting hand back towards the torso. but then it works on acoustics should see why it dosent on electrics.
Not sure its the best way round the problem but it seems to work

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:46 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Seems from the position your guitar is your fretboard is a long way from your body.
maybe try adjusting strap to pull the neck in closer??

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:10 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Mays here is my response video-

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:29 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #4
Ursin you mentioned developing a feel for eveness in clampage btw thumb and each of the fretting fingers...do you know any super effective exercises for developing a better awarness for this eveness of pressure? It seems to me that what you are describing is a manner of developing some layer of habit/subconcious awarness for how hard each individual finger should be pressing relative to each other finger that is pressing...I think part of what constrains my playing is a very under developed sense for this kind of control over each finger as multiple are being pressed down.

Hey Nick

If you are having a problem playing barre chords (don't worry, it's a common problem) focus first on the actual barre. Take your index finger and start at the first fret. Hold down all the strings and pluck each string to see if all strings are ringing evenly and clearly. Continue up the neck SLOWLY. Really try to feel each string under your finger. Remember, each string needs to ring and all strings need to ring even and clear.

Generally with most beginner and even intermediate players the low E and the high E will sound and all the strings in the middle will be dead or sound bad. This is when you need to work on flattening your finger more and finding out how much pressure is required. Think of your thumb on the back of the neck and your index finger as a capo. Keep in mind that more pressure will be coming from the index finger rather than the thumb.

Constantly pushing harder and harder with the finger and the thumb will NOT help. It's not the amount of pressure you are exerting but how the pressure is distributed. The finger has to be flat and ever so slightly rolled back towards the nut. Then, even with a super light touch, all the strings will sound.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:33 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:35 am
by Vote_For_Kodos • 23 Posts

Thanks, PB. Really helpful. It seemed to be all about thumb pressure--I was certainly pinching the &&^% out of the neck and wasting lots of energy hence the chicken elbow. Pretty easy fix, surprisingly.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
200 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 109) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly