Scalpel and Sarod critique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:32 pm
by JohnA • 12 Posts

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, just subscribed to lessons last week. I was wondering if any of you could check my scalpel and sarod technique?

Here's my scalpel picking:

I find that with my scalpel, I have to get a little more horizontal with the pick to get a clearer sound...is that ok?

And my sarod:

With my sarod, I find that I can do it really fast like at the end of the video but I quickly burnout at that speed, so I've just started slow and building up.

Thanks!

Scroll up

RE: Scalpel and Sarod critique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:45 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: JohnA wrote in post #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, just subscribed to lessons last week. I was wondering if any of you could check my scalpel and sarod technique?

Here's my scalpel picking:

I find that with my scalpel, I have to get a little more horizontal with the pick to get a clearer sound...is that ok?

And my sarod:

With my sarod, I find that I can do it really fast like at the end of the video but I quickly burnout at that speed, so I've just started slow and building up.

Thanks!

Your scalpel and sarod technique looks fine to me. That is, I think you have the motions down correctly. Needs a lot of practice and time to be fluid and use it in your actual playing. You should definitely work the sarod speed up from slow to fast. Sarod is not just for speed. It is simply a different wrist motion which you could also do very slowly. So, just as with alternate picking or scalpel picking, sarod picking should be practiced slowly. It is easy to do it fast and uncontrolled. Don't worry, you will always be able to do that. Work on getting it slow, precise, and under control.

Your thumb tends to hang over the pick a little too much for my personal tastes. But that's just me. It seems you have long fingers. If it feels comfortable it's probably ok.

More importantly, your left hand is all jacked up. Your fingers are flying all over the place. Work on the left hand exercises. Ladder, spider, trills, etc. Keep fingers curved. Keep fingers parallel to fingerboard. Use minimal movement.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:45 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 pm
by JohnA • 12 Posts

Thanks a lot for the help and advice, I'll get working on those left handed exercises.

I see what you mean about the thumb, I'll try and bring it back a little and see how it goes.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:19 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

the coolest thing about sarod is that if you work enough on it for it, eventually when you get old and tired it starts to do your picking work for you. at that point its time to kick your foot rest up in a big comfy recliner, grab a lemonade with one of those little umbrellas in it and sit back amusedly while Lady Sarod zips around in a great big fucking hurry doing the ALL of your picking work for you...as if it beleived that it had no tommorrow and a lifetimes work of stuff had to be picked today.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---

Last edited Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:24 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

also goood Sarod...you can know rest easier knowing you have your foundation perfectly grounded...dont let yourself be bothered by questions like "OH!? is what I am doing still Sarod?!?" from this point on...Your picking hand, It will become a cannon on its own organically in time directly proportional to the ammount of time you spend consciously choosing to make Sarod diddies during your trill time...Sarod is like having a house-maid that you pay to gobble up trills.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:33 pm
by JohnA • 12 Posts

hahaha, all the more reason to keep practicing it then! EPIC analogies by the way!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:41 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Scalpel looks right - Sarod looks like a great start! keep doing this!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:40 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Yup....great start!
Just keep practicing...

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 106 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: