Finger stretching

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:40 am
by 1ne_2wo_3hree • 1 Post

Hi
Just starting out on learning to play the acoustic guitar and came across this site which looks as if it's going to be great help from what I've looked at so far. I am seriously thinking of taking up the structured lessons.
I have a problem which I imagine all guitar players have experienced and that is getting my fingers to span the frets when playing chords and scales. My hands are neither small all large and I would like to know how I can coach and condition my hand/fingers to stretch and play the way you see accomplished guitarists do. I guess practice practice and more practice is the key but there must be other things I could be doing to speed up the process.

Many thanks

Scroll up

RE: Finger stretching

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:22 pm
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: 1ne_2wo_3hree wrote in post #1
Hi
Just starting out on learning to play the acoustic guitar and came across this site which looks as if it's going to be great help from what I've looked at so far. I am seriously thinking of taking up the structured lessons.
I have a problem which I imagine all guitar players have experienced and that is getting my fingers to span the frets when playing chords and scales. My hands are neither small all large and I would like to know how I can coach and condition my hand/fingers to stretch and play the way you see accomplished guitarists do. I guess practice practice and more practice is the key but there must be other things I could be doing to speed up the process.

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum! This forum is a very good place to get advice and help about playing the guitar and playing music. What exactly is it that you are struggling to do?. It is kind of hard for anyone here on the forum to answer your questions or advise you without seeing what level of playing you are at.

If you could post a video of your playing youtube it would people here answer your questions. It doesn't have to be a very long video just so people here can see your both of your hands playing the guitar. Nobody will here will laugh at it. This forum has guitarists of all levels of playing ability from total beginners to people who are at a very advanced level of playing guitar both technically and musically.

We all encourage each other with our playing here to improve our abilities at playing the instrument. It does take an extreme amount of hard work and dedication to become good at playing guitar. Do you have an idea of the type of music you would like to play?, What guitarists do you like to listen to etc.

Knowing that stuff can help us advise in what stuff you need to do to advance into the type of playing you would like to play. The great thing about this forum is there a wealth of information and ideas from guitarists who have had lots of experience in all kinds of musicial situations.

Pebber is a fantastic teacher who has posted hundreds of videos on youtube that will keep even "advanced" guitarists busy for years. There really isn't any shortcuts to making your progress any faster on the instrument. However, the way Pebber teaches is by far the best approach I have come across so far. There are right ways to be taught guitar and there are also wrong ways to be taught guitar.

At the moment on youtube there are many people out there who will say......"Learn to master the guitar in 6 months!!! Being a shredder in 6 months!!! Subscribe and buy my instruction videos/books....take lessons with me.....", like those horrible shopping channel programmes where they try to sell you junk.

Scroll up

RE: Finger stretching

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:30 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Trill for strength and ladder exercises are great for stretching.

dont forget those isometric warm ups.

Before doing these i would never be able to stretch for 3nps,

keep correct form
Oh and loads of practice

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
25 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly