Right hand out of action: any advice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:08 am
by Ivan • 45 Posts

Hi guys,
well i messed up badly and injured my right hand last night. Got a fractured knuckle on right hand 5th metacarpal and pinky itself is all messed up. Ortho surgeon says surgery may be needed, and I cant use the hand for 6 weeks or more. So I've got a month off work and extra practice time haha. I'm a beginner so I was working on right hand technique only up until yesterday.

I was planning on starting string permutations, trills and the chromatic scale for 6 weeks and working on music theory lectures online to improve my basics. I literally cant hold a pick, use a pen or type with my right hand.

Anyone else worked through an injury like this before?
Did you take time off completely or work left hand only for a while?
Anything you guys do to rehab the injury quicker?

Music=Life
Scroll up

RE: Right hand out of action: any advice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:54 am
by wetduck (deleted)

That's to bad Ivan :( The good news ! is there's still plenty to do with your other hand. or to get started on :) I dare say You might even have a advantage !!! not having to worry about your picking. lol spiders,trills,ladders eg. Lock down your chromatic form :) and good hand habits from the very start :)
A few years ago,i badly broke my ring finger(left hand) falling in the river, chasing a trout lol i had to be on stage 2 nights later lol i must say it was really interesting. As the show must go on lol all i could do was play 1 or 2 notes from every chord or simple melody's !!! It really opened my eye's and learned the huge lesson less, is WAYYYY more !!! I even sounded better(different) ... and it changed the way i approach my role as a player...had to play a few shows like that . Hope it never happens again ! but learned alot from the experience :) hope your hand gets better soon :) but there's still a ton of fun to have and do. I'm sure the guys have a ton more ideas for you :)

Quack

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:29 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

one whole month of trills!!!!!!!! oh how I envy you!!! trills are the best

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:32 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

See if you can beat FrakH's record of 6 hours and trill for the whole month (-:

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 pm
by Ivan • 45 Posts

Chasing a trout!!!! lol that made me laugh man :D
I've discovered that I can still play "percussion chords" by fretting the chords normally and tapping the strings with the edge of a metal ruler. I get a weird, indian instrument kind of effect when I use it with delay so I can still mess around. I was interested in learning some piano chords with my left hand to help learn basic theory so i guess now's a good chance. Anyway typing like this sucks haha thanks man

Music=Life
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:37 pm
by Ivan • 45 Posts

nicholas!
Great pic man :)
Ive started trills and they are awesome. At this point just fretting the chromatic scale in the positions on 1 string 4 fingers simultaneously is a challenge so I'll keep the trills and chromatic scale up for a month. I was depressed when I couldnt use my picking hand but Im actually enjoying this lol. Cheers for your reply

Music=Life
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:21 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Hey mate, hope you recover soon! I had a right hand injury before and went through the trills for weeks phase ;)
Just another thing to add to the list: you could practice chord forms and now you might have a bit of extra time to catch up on theory.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:08 am
by Ivan • 45 Posts

gday case,

cheers mate!
Ive printed out the chromatic scale exercises and the string permutations sheet, so theres plenty there to keep me busy for a while. Still managing to get a couple of hours practice a day in even with the injury so I'm happy. Pretty good community here :)

Music=Life
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 81 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: