To peg, or not to peg?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 am
by Jonashred • 7 Posts

Hey.

I know Pebbers view on this, but I am losing track of the amount of virtuosos who inform me that I should not be using the pegged technique, and this is installing doubt.

Simple question... what are the specific benefits of using the pegged left hand technique when practicing or playing? Sure it's a classically proven method and whatnot, but is it really suited to 250bpm runs on a modern electric guitar?

Thanks,
Jona.

Scroll up

RE: To peg, or not to peg?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:39 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

What is the pegged technique?

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:36 am
by Jonashred • 7 Posts

Watch Pebbers left hand videos to see

[ur]www.youtube.com/jonashred[/url]

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 am
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

I've watched at least 100 videos of Pebber's and have never seen him talk about or mention the "peg technique." :P

Is this something Pebber actually mentions, or you just came up with this name for a technique that Pebber does?

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:38 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Zitat von Jonashred

Dude, not only have I watched all of Pebber's left hand technique videos multiple times, but I have discussed left hand technique with Pebber ad nauseam, and he has never mentioned peg technique.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:06 pm
by deadcrustpunk • 9 Posts

Zitat von uderoche

Zitat von Jonashred

Dude, not only have I watched all of Pebber's left hand technique videos multiple times, but I have discussed left hand technique with Pebber ad nauseam, and he has never mentioned peg technique.

to the point of nausea? wow, you must have REALLY discussed the hell out of this! but to be completely honest i don't have the SLIGHTEST idea what the hell the "pegged" concept is.

are you REALLY justified in having NOTHING to say???

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:10 am
by Jonashred • 7 Posts

Oh ok. Oops. Somehow I got it in my head that it was refered to as pegged... here is the original video i did which started a debate on left hand technique ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noqkQzsrPpg

The argument/discussion has finished, so don't bother trying to start it again on the vid... but it was about the left hand ascending technique, the classical form of keeping the unused fingers down or "pegged (?)" if you like, when performing the movements.

Some people argued that this should not be done. I still keep hearing people challenge this.

[ur]www.youtube.com/jonashred[/url]

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:53 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Thanks for clarifying. The correct term for this technique is piano legato.

Practicing this way can be VERY beneficial. However, I don't think Pebber ever claimed that you should ALWAYS play like this. Different situations call for different techniques.

-Ursin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
616 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia