Picking Technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 am
by GuitarC • 3 Posts

Hey Pebber,

I saw a few of your videos on youtube. It is so nice to see a teacher
willing to share their techniques, thoughts etc.

I noticed in a few of your videos you talk about faster passages being
played with a thumb/index finger movement and then show that technique while
playing slower. You described it as an artist drawing which I understand.
I could not help but notice that it appears that as you increase the speed
of your playing your thumb becomes stable and your pick movement no longer involves finger movement. Is that correct?

To me it makes sense that only the fingers or the wrist/elbow could produce fast precise picking at any given time and not a combination of the fingers and wrist/elbow since they do not allow for movement on a similar plane because they
allow movement on almost perpendicular planes in the picking positions shown.
The fingers moving the pick could be assisted by the shoulder (since they can produce same plane movement) to aid in picking but that would defeat the purpose of using fine motor skills to pick and would be like trying to draw with your shoulder aiding your fingers. The increased lever length results in less control at the point of contact and therefore a sloppy & inaccurate drawing.

When playing several different passages I can understand how some can be played using different techniques. Can you clarify what technique you use for extremely fast & accurate note sequences?

Thanks,

GuitarC

Scroll up

RE: Picking Technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

No the pick arc gets smaller as you go faster thats all.
Its not a WIDE arc when playing at faster speed
Its still a loose thumb and index

No shoulder - yes it decreases fine accuracy

clarify which one? every piece of music is different and has different demands and techniques necessary.

You are trying to intellectually micro manage picking. Just go practice it instead.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:19 pm
by GuitarC • 3 Posts

Hey Pebber,

Thanks for your response. In response to you asking me "clarify which one?" in your video "PB on playing FAST" you describe the Sarod technique saying you like to keep your thumb loose. Do you simply mean a loose or non-rigid thumb in that the exposed thumb joint itself is not locked out but flexed? I see that your thumb stays flexed while playing & it appers that all your pick movement when starting to play the G scale comes strictly from the shaking of your wrist.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:58 pm
by hudson • 2 Posts

hello Pebber, first of all happy birthday man, may GOD bless you and give you many more years....
what do you say about sweep picking??? I just came across a guy on youyube that teaches that stuff hes name is tom Hess, he is pretty good I think. any coments on the sweep picking or on he guy Tom Hess?
check out my video on youtube I want to take lesson from you when posble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjGXcrMTJCM

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 242 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly