Practice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 am
by Iconoclastus • 4 Posts
Scroll up

RE: Practice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:23 am

Finally got my practice video uploaded. Forgot to play on click unfortunately, as I usually do practice with it... sorry for that. I practiced much less in last month as I got diagnosed with tennis elbow. Getting back at it though as I got help from physiotherapy. Would appreciate some tips from other guitarists too on how to treat it.

I have been playing somewhat 10 years now, had lots of times when I got frustrated. Then I found Pebbers channel and had lots of progress. Been following for about an year now.

I play with 7 string guitar as you can see, from drop A tuning. ( I play in metal band)

I feel that I have lots of problems with scalpel picking, it seems to change into more like sarod picking as I play.
Also had lots of problems with practicing any theory, feels that its hard to find any good practice to start with. Any ideas on that? Really lack the skill of improvising any solo or melody on this or that riff.

Sorry for bad english, I'm from Finland. And for the background noises, recorded this at our reherseal room and there was some band playing next doors.

cheers! :)

Last edited Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:28 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:08 am
by heyman • 60 Posts

Hi Ico.

Thanks for posting!

You get around on the guitar great. My suggestion would be to slow down. (I know going slow sucks!) Tighten the low A string up to a B so you can articulate the lower strings more accurately for practice. Try rotating a sequence of 5-6 low notes out of the pattern and do just those. The higher notes seem to articulate better.

Hope this helps!

Heyman

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 am

Thank you for your post heyman!

What do you think would be optimal bpm for my practice? I also think that I should change the lowest string to .65
Will start to practice that, ill post more videos here as I feel that I've made some progress. Thank you again!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 am
by heyman • 60 Posts

Hey Ico,

I would start deathly slow at no more than 50-60 clicks per min.; for at least a few days, then go up by tens. It may be hard, but it will make things better. If you can articulate it slow at 60, it will just get easier as you raise the tempo. For me playing slow correctly is hard.Difficult is good, always.

Best H

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:36 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Iconoclastus!

First of all, WELCOME to the Forum...and your English is very good! I am going to break this down into 2 categories...

1) TENNIS ELBOW: You did the right thing by taking a long break from playing guitar. Conditions such as this can end careers if not treated properly. The most important thing is "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY." As soon as you start feeling pain, STOP and REST. Also, make sure that you use an ergonomic approach to your warm-up in terms of proper stretching and breathing (Pebber has a great video on this subject on YouTube). Massage is a good technique, and if you can, try acupuncture. I had something similar regarding the nerves in my right arm and index finger (my picking hand). I saw a chiropractor who also did acupuncture, and all symptoms were relieved withing 3 months!

2) YOUR VIDEO: Yes, using a metronome (or backing track) is always recommended. Your stamina is impressive, considering you are healing from Tennis Elbow, but the only major thing I noticed was that you pause when skipping strings. Your right hand looks really good. I think it is great that you notice that your technique will change, according to what you are playing. That is a good thing! I am not seeing too much Scalpel Picking or Sarod Picking, but as long as you are comfortable with your current technique, there's nothing wrong with it. Now, if you want to really perfect your Scalpel or Sarod techniques, you must start slow; using almost exaggerated movements. For Scalpel Picking, I choose a string other than the low or high "E" strings,. Practicing on the G or B strings, for example, will force you to keep your movements tight (I learned this when practicing tremolo exercises via my Classical Guitar pursuits -- The same philosophy works with a pick). When it comes to Sarod Picking, keep your wrist nice and loose. The movement is similar to opening a jar of peanut butter. Last, but not least, your left hand technique looks excellent.

Kudos for practicing with a clean tone, and that guitar is a BEAST (I just picked up an Ibanez RG8 that I am going to refurbish)!!

I hope my comments help -- KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 439 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly