Wearing the guitar with classical LH technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 pm
by alc0 • 4 Posts

Any suggestions on wearing the guitar while playing standing and using classical left-hand technique? (Assuming the player is either finger or plectrum picking with their right hand).

I've always worn my guitar higher than most players because it matches with where the fretboard sits when playing classical guitar.

...but I'm aware this looks different than the typical "sagging at the waist" style, and part of the performance (at least for certain genres, maybe not for jazz or classical) is about presenting a visual "show" for the audience. Any thoughts? Perhaps a lower seated guitar is simply a recipe for poor technique and I shouldn't worry about it...

Scroll up

RE: Wearing the guitar with classical LH technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello, alc0!

Great question! For me, I simply must wear the guitar higher than most guitar players, in order to maximize the Classical Technique. At first, it was a little strange, because I am 6'3" ....but I'll leave the "guitar sagging" to dudes like Slash and Duff McKagan. I prefer to sound good, as opposed to "look cool."

Scroll up

RE: Wearing the guitar with classical LH technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm
by alc0 • 4 Posts

Thanks Adam...

I actually didn't expect you to say you wore yours high!!!

Based on how you wear yer ax on yer Reverbnation profile, I'd say it looks damn good. Not sagging, but mine is, err, awkwardly higher. Think George Harrison in some of the super early black and white clips. You know where it looks like he's this skinny kid getting dwarfed behind a huge jazz box? Yeah...that...

I'm assuming you aren't lowering the guitar to pose for the camera in yer pictureshow. So I did some experimenting with lowering my guitar just a few notches. And...yes, looks much better, and doesn't impede classical LH, tho it feels weird to me at this angle.

Solution...will practice LH with the guitar at a lower angle so it doesn't feel so weird...

Much thanks for yer feedback!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 218 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: