Question about picking exercises

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:40 am
by Clark • 11 Posts

Hi guys I’m pretty new to picking exercises but have a question about picking exercises

When doing picking exercises could I also hold down a barre chord with my left hand and move around different chords to work on left hand chord grip????

I noticed a lot of pebbers videos show some of the picking exercises done with open strings or an esus2. And I got to thinking it might be beneficial to practice picking whilst holding down barre chords ( to improve barre strength and kill 2 birds while practicing) however ima noob to picking exercises and I don’t feel qualified to make these kinda of judgements as I will try my best to follow pebbers methods. But wondered if holding barre birds whilst picking is ok for these exercises ???

Or is picking open strings the best way for budding picking technique as the tensions on the strings alter when fretting and holding barre chords and ???????

Forgive me if this seems a stupid question as I’m new to these woodshedding techniques. Any advise much a-prechiated

Scroll up

RE: Question about picking exercises

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:44 pm
by Brian • 6 Posts

Keep in mind there is no right or wrong, just what works for you.

Sometimes I literally put my left hand in my pocket when doing picking exercises because I am trying to focus all my attention to what my right hand is doing. Other times, I hold 6 string barre chords to develop my grip and left thumb strength but there are other exercises I use for doing that sort of thing. Personally, I prefer the E major chord...it just sounds awesome on the guitar.

After a while, you NEED to change chords with your picking exercises because the changing string tension will throw your right hand into uncharted waters and it sounds WAY more musical.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:42 pm
by Clark • 11 Posts

Thanks for this I will try vary my practice with a blend of just string pick9ng, open chord picking and barre picking

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 am
by Cleudi Martins • 24 Posts

I don't see why you can't practice with different chords. In fact, I think it's great to add some variation to improve other aspects of your playing.

Picking on open strings is just as good as picking chords (in my experience). It all depends on what you want to achieve.

If you can, try practicing both ways. You won't have any "side effect", just as long as you do the exercises correctly.

Best of luck!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:03 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Yeah sure ha ha! Tr it with Barre chords. You wont hhave the stamina to keep it up I guarantee it.
Thats why we use open chords. Better yet, for long practice sessions tune the guitar to an open chord and try it.
Its a stamina and strength issue, most beginners have very little.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 426 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly