PB Guitarstudio Q&A

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 7:11 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Please post your questions publicly here in this forum! Direct email questions sent to PB are no longer supported and are automatically deleted. If you just have a"quick question" sorry PB will not answer via direct email any longer. Post your questions publicly here so that PB may respond and others may see the question as well. Do not sent a message marked "private" it will also be deleted and not answered.

Scroll up

RE: PB Guitarstudio Q&A

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Here's a question from Rob Murtha:
-=>PB
------------------------------------------------------
Hi Pebber, I need your advice. I have been using several guitars for practicing and I'm noticing something. I started out trying using heavy strings with a fairly high action on a couple of strats and it was great for building up my chops but I started to really get fatigued. I pulled out my jazz box which has an amazing action and is very fast and I noticed that my left hand was getting ahead of my right hand for the first time so the excersizes are paying off. I decided to practice on the jazz box for a couple of days and when I went back to the strat it still felt good but I'm my timing is getting screwed up on the faster stuff. I also have a better strat with a lower action but I like the jazz box because its 24 3/4 scale. Do you think it's of any value to practice with heavy strings on a high action? Should I focus on the best axe and setup until I get this timing down?

Thanks,
Rob
----------------------------------------
Heavy strings and high action used to be the way that people got a better and fatter tone. I have 0.13's on most of my acoustics and practice on those when I need to build up my strength - but the big HOWEVER is that you kill off your finesse for playing subtler ideas on lighter strings - yes you can play fast on .009's after practicing on 0.13's but it will take you a few days tro acclimate to the lighter guage so you dont clobber it. Albert Lee gets a fat country chicken' pickin' sound and he uses strictly 0.09's. McLaughlin used to use .008's in the Mahavishnu Orchestra days, but Jeff Beck goes the other way and he uses heavy 0.11's and 0.12's on his STRATS. He has incredible strength in his hands and so .009's or .010's probably dont work well for him anymore. If yuo are going to play a rock gig with lots of bending and stuff practice for a few days in a row on a solid body electric with 0.09's or 0.010's dont practice on an acoustic with 0.013s you may think you are buidling strength but you lose all your finesse and you have to re-orient yourself to the lighter guage.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 7:34 pm
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

Thanks I am enjoying the extra strength but it's wasting time to get back in sync, I like the D'AdDario EXL115 Jazz/Blues and the Chrome flatwounds, I noticed a lot less picking noise with the flatwounds.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 12:25 am
by chrishorton • 17 Posts

Where I come from and the players Ive hung around, they always tell you to use the heaviest gauge you can cosistently
bend a whole step. This way you got the fattest tone you could use.

I use 10-46 on my main strat, but my tele and 50s strat i use 12-52's. Does wonders for the tone, and your hand does
eventually speed up.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited Mon May 24, 2010 12:26 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 4:54 am
by Adam (deleted)

I have 13's on my acoustic, also. One way I do NOT lose any "finesse" when going back to my Gibsons is by going to the electrics immediately after completing my last exercise on the acoustic; usually "The Trill." So, I'll do "The Trill" for 60-90 minutes, and that's it; directly to the Gibsons.

Even tapping chops can be greatly improved this way: Practice them on acoustic for 15-30 minutes, then go directly to the electrics. The difference is similar to running a hot knife through butter!

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS
-Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 25, 2010 4:45 pm
by Kiriako • 11 Posts

I hope I don't look too foolish asking this, but in one of your ScaleTone Form System videos, you mention "Chord Theory Worksheet #1", but can't seem to find it in the Lesson Downloads. Is this for students only? Thank you as always.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 25, 2010 10:17 pm

I thought is was up - I will get to it in a couple days hang on

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 26, 2010 1:21 pm
by Drumitar • 2 Posts

kind of off topic but is there anyway someone can create categories in the forum ?

Drumitar

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 26, 2010 8:21 pm

You have to start a new thread at the main menu

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 27, 2010 10:48 pm
by Adam (deleted)

Tetra-Chords: Are these named so, because each part (Lower & Upper) consists of 4 notes?

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS
-Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 9:28 am

Tetra = 4 and Tetrachord is originally from ancient greek music theory as the combination of notes on 4 strings. Some sources list that the word chord came from the ancient greek work 'chorus" meaning a stepwise series of notes so that a tetrachorus would be an organized series of 4 notes played in succession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachord

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
16_Tetrachord_Patterns.pdf 16_Tetrachord_Patterns.pdf
Tetrachord_Scales_Framework.pdf Tetrachord_Scales_Framework.pdf

Last edited Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 5:11 pm
by Adam (deleted)

Beautiful, Pebber,,,,,THANK YOU! I was sure that "Tetra"=4; just wanted to make sure I was on the right path. On that 1st PDF (16 ways to play), I can see a resemblance to the Scaletone Forms Patterns! This really helped a lot!

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS--Pebber Brown
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Well of course the Scaletone Form system is partially derived from Tetrachord concepts. As you will see in many later videos, the tetrchord is the building block of all scales, keys and circle of fifths.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 11:22 pm
by Adam (deleted)

I wonder, what was the basis was for giving such importance to the Tetrachord? Why not pick 3 notes? Why not 5? Does it have something to do with eight notes from a root note to it's octave in most scales?

In the last week alone, my mind is just really expanding, musically speaking....I feel many doors opening!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:31 pm
by Andy

I've known for a while that you taught Buckethead...but it has never occurred to me to ask how long did you teach him for? 1 year? 2 years? Sorry if this question has been answered before but I don't know where to search for this kind of question.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:23 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

LOL, more Buckethead questions....

Can't we just talk about guitar....

"Let's face it, You suck; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Scroll up

question...

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 pm
by spitznagel • 3 Posts

Not sure if this is where i should post but here goes.. Im interested in the scaletone form book you mentioned in your videos. I'm wondering if the book is still a work in progress, or if its available. I'm also curious if arpeggio-modes and chord-modes will be covered in the book? I've heard the ideas referenced before but am not sure what they are exactly. I'm assuming they are inversions, but i really like your slant on things so I'd like to learn more about where your goin with that.

Scroll up

RE: question...

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:06 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

All the basic information about scaletone form, CAGED, 7 position system, 14 position system, the Russ Tuttle 12 position system, along with all the arpeggios, chords, pentatonics, and how to practice it all is here

http://www.pbguitarstudio.com/GuitarLessonPDF.html

STFU! - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Scaletone Form book not available yet. Quite a long way off.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 pm
by spitznagel • 3 Posts

ya i already downloaded just about everything from that page. Im familiar with caged, the 7pos system, the 12, scaletone, etc... Ive been watching some of PBs videos and i heard him mention chord modes, and arpeggio modes. I am curious if there is a book available either with these concepts, or with anything else that has not been covered on youtube. Ive watched just about every single video, and i really like the way PB explains everything.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:15 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Watching all of PB's Youtube videos is definitely the place to start.

So, now, armed with all of this knowledge, have you begun to work it into your daily practice? How much are you practicing daily?

STFU! - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:05 pm
by Adam (deleted)

If I could add my 2 cents (which I'll do, anyway), I would think that just the stuff on the link Ursin so kindly provided WILL keep you busy for up to 10 YEARS.

,,,and NO, as a Student of Pebber's, I am NOT lying.

If you ask me, the longer the book takes, the MORE sense it will make; the better prepared I will be!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:15 am
by Adam (deleted)

Pebber:

I am writing out the F# Mixolydian Scale, and I would like to know if, because I am writing it as an ASCENDING PATTERN, I use ALL SHARPS, as opposed to flats?

F#, G#, A#, B, C#, D#, E

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:25 am
by oilkills • 1 Post

This is really cool!!! And I don't know what just happened but as I typed this (the first time) my screen flashed and my comment disappeared. Oh well, I was just going to echo Pebbers last comment in other words... Failing to prepare is preparing to fail... and Thanks for Everthing Pebber and Adam!!! Peace, Don

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:30 am
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

I do know that if you are in a certain key you only use that key signature... so if you are in F# Mixolydian, you would still use sharps even if you are descending. But I guess you could say that when you are descending it could be Gb Mixolydian..

But if you were in a flat key, say Gb Mixolydian, you would still write flats even when you are ascending.

Is that what you're asking?

"Let's face it, You suck; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
524 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly