Applying the caged system

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:35 am
by walleyedave • 37 Posts

I have watched and practiced ALL of the caged system videos. Does anyone know where to look for the next video set which would be how to apply the caged system? In other words, How does this system work musically, using different notes etc....how do you apply this in a musical context, how does it relate or repeat within itself? I know there are other videos out there which try to explain this,,,but I would much rather hear it from Pebber himself instead of being confused by the millions of imposters. Thanks in advance!! I really appreciate it!!

Scroll up

RE: Applying the caged system

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:10 am
by uderoche (deleted)

PB did this vid a few months back and it's really awesome. It's in 5 parts I believe and covers just playing over a Dom7 chord. He does a lot of caged stuff in this...but also other things.

There is also this Scales and Arpeggios series that is amazing.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Ursin, thanx! But I assume that the caged system is called that because its a system of sorts, right? Maybe without getting too crazy, you could explain how this "system" works? Can you dig it!?! Thanks!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Ursin, That 2nd video is f-ing killer. Sonically pleasing, Where are the Pebber Brown c.d.'s at my local music store??

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Watch both of these and continue with part 2, then 3, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0VqpS3b64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueW5L7Wy4As

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Good call jimi. Thanks.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:09 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Dont get too caught up in the name. CAGED is only referring to the spelling of the chords C A G E and D one after another.
There are so many videos on the CAGED system that I myself have posted that I am not interested in discussing it much anymore - its only an extremely entry level 5 position scale system to learn the neck. The questions you have all indicate that you need to learn about major scales, keys and basic diatonic harmony. Just get some books and start reading.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:23 pm

thanks for the help!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:08 am
by Nick Gunar • 5 Posts

Hello everyone,

I couldn't find a thread about the G Major 7 Position (3 NPS) so I take this thread to ask a question;
In the book "Guitar Grimoire" by Adam Kadmon (thanks to pebber brown for mentionning this book in his videos), on page 21, there are the 7 positions of the G Major. However, the first position (for pebber brown as in his G_Major_7_Position_LARGE.pdf) or the seventh (for Adam Kadmon) is slightly different for the B and the lower E strings. There are 3 wholesteps for Adam Kadmon's (3rd-5th-7th frets on both B and E like the pattern for the 4th position in pebber brown's) and 1 wholestep and a halfstep for pebber brown's (3rd-5th for B and 2nd-3rd-5th frets on lower E).

Could someone explain me this subtlety because for the other positions they both match (of course ^^)?

Thank you.

Ps: sorry if you can't clearly see what I am talking about, my english is not perfect :)

NB: thank you very much pebber for your videos, it is very helpful.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am
by uderoche (deleted)

There are various ways to approach these scales. Everyone's methods will be slightly different. However, I personally think Pebber's method of scale systems and scale studies is the best and most easiest to understand and he has taught MANY world class players who can back this up. Nobody knows scale systems like Pebber. In the end, do whatever you feel is best for you and your playing. A G Major scale is a Gmajor scale. G A B C D E F# G play it however you like and what feels comfortable to you.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:34 am
by Nick Gunar • 5 Posts

I wasn't saying which one is better than the other, I was just asking out of curiosity :).

But thank you uderoche for your reply, as I thought, as long as you stay in the scale, you can do whatever you want.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:22 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Its a matter of logic. Pebbers method explains the definition of a 7 tone scale perfectly. Notice the odd patterns contain a 2nps on the second string and the even patterns contain the 3nps patterns. Its an easy way of learning the scale definition as well as a valuable template to create your own 7 tone definition....odd pattern....a 2nps...even pattern all 3nps. Adams book is fantastic....but....it doesnt completely describe the scale tone definition thoroughly. How about Segovia's method????? What is that???....5 patterns to describe the scale definition??? Limits your ability...if you dont have the imagination to expand it on your own. Its like having 5 different ways to get home instead of only one...the 91 fwy...lol.

The 91 sucks b.t.w....takes 2 hours to get home.

Pebber then expands(describes) the 7 tone scale even further.....Quadraphonics!!!

A new ANIMAL!

I hope I helped...I didnt pull out Adams book...I do have it...actually all of them I think.
But if not...Ill take a look at specifics??

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Ahh nutz!

My input is for the 14 positions.....

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Is learning the c a g e d thing a waste of my time?? Should i instead be focusing on the 14 pos system or the 7?? I'm trying to learn how to APPLY scales and understand how scale/modes affect relationships of singular notes/chords, and get to a point where i can recognize and solo (easily), over whatever i am hearing. I was assuming the c a g e d 5 pos thing would be a good starting point?? Any input from those of you who have driven this road would be helpful. gotta love the geetar!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:38 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Ask yourself.....which method will "describe" the major scale the best?

No doubt...14 positions are better than 7....5...ect. 7 is just half of the description...of 14.

The goal is to be able to memorize, and use the notes..all of the notes of the major scale or any other definition. The 14 position is the way I went. Just WRITE THEM OUT EVERY DAY......10 TIMES A DAY! At least. And you will be fine.

My opinion.....
You will hear guys say...nah...its all up to you.....its which ever you are comfortable with...blah! Bunch of crap. 5 positions...7 positions are taught to those who cant memorize patterns yet. You will never become HARDCORE unless you become HARDCORE. Memorize the 14 positions. You will not regret it.

You cant go wrong with knowing the 5 or 7 positions. They are just part of the bigger picture...right. Just learn the remaining 9 or 7.

Randolf Smuntz

Last edited Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:39 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Ralph Mutter is a personal friend of mine. He was my roommate back at the Berklee College of music. Back then, Ralph and I had a bet as to who would be the first man to come out with a guitar scale book. He beat me to it - hence the name - Adam Kadmon - referring to the Biblical "Adam" in Genesis as "The first man." Its been a 4 decade long inside joke on me. But Ralph is a joker. The positions are all about the same - dont get caught up in it as one moves on to a greater system fairly quickly and its all irrelevant to improvisation in the end. The subtlety of the difference - my opinoin? LEARN BOTH of course. Its not "either - or" its ALL!!!!!!! DO IT ALL.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:56 am

What a cool story! Great advice, I will learn them ALL! Thanks Pebber! And thank yous to Ursin, Jimiclaptoncarl, FraKh!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
137 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly