Hello there and question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:16 am
by cornblakes • 2 Posts

I just found PB's youtube channel a couple months ago which has encouraged me to stop fuckin about and actually learn the ways of the fretboard. I got my first guitar on my 14th birthday but I didn't know what an octave was or how to play anything beyond a power chord and basic basic open chords until last autumn and I'll be 18 in the summer.

I'm still on the one key (G) and have learnt the 5 position system on major, melodic and harmonic minor, should i try changing keys or work my way up through the 7, 12 and 14 position systems or perhaps I'm missing something?

Scroll up

RE: Hello there and question

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 30, 2011 6:29 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

What's this thing what everybody have with G to start with? Why G is so attractive to people to be the first key much people
start to work on? It seems it's universal or something. I first started with G also. I don't know why. Any thoughts?

Whatever reason, but since you started with G, and you're doing it in 5 positions, it should be easier for you to expand your 5 positions into
other position system in the same key. Later you can expand that knowledge on other keys, because it should be easier since your hands will
develop "eyes" on relative position playing. Depending on a time available for you and what your desire is to acomplish, it would be great to
work on all systems, but if you're into 3nps playing, I would suggest learning 3nps system first, and than skip to 14 position system
immediatelly since it covers all of the other systems between and below at same time, and it's your way up to a whole neck recognition in a key
you're playing. Let's say, it's your way up to a "multidimensional 1 position system" where you treat your whole (guitar)neck as a single
position for any key you're covering.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I spent 2 years just working on the 5 POS system in G major. Before moving forward, I would improvise over backing tracks. Record your progress.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 am
by cornblakes • 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice my hard rockin amigos

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:08 am
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

debilius, i'd say the reason most teachers start on G is simply because of its first position on the fretboard: not to high, not too low.

probably the same reason why we first learn C major starting on the 5th string 3rd fret, its the easiest place for any guitarist to play the scale.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:11 am
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

cornblakes, i think uderoche in his last post summed it up perfectly. it will take some time, you do not need to rush off and do anything more advanced just yet.

if you could record yourself playing the scales that would be excellent, that way you can get feedback from pebber and other teachers on this forum or on youtube.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:59 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

G major and E minor are relative to each other. The guitar is natively tuned E A D G B E. The Emill chord is E G B D F# A so the open strings naturally produce an Emi11 chord, which is the relative minor of G. G is to the guitar what C is to the Piano.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

You spoiled it now Pebber... do you know what theories could have been brought here!

... just joking.

Actually the first scale I've learned was an A aeolian mode(A minor scale)... and it's relative Ionian mode(major, C major). I've learned it from a guy named Al Pitrelli(guy is great, everybody probably know who he is). Later I've learned from him an A Dorian mode(and some stuff else). That was introduction to me of an '"old church" scales/modes(I had a great "underground" script about that written by Miroslav and Kresimir Dominic). And since an A Dorian is a mode from G major that made me to start to develop the whole neck from G probably because of that, I don't know. It was natural for me that way, and not from any other key, and I haven't had a teacher back then to make it his "fault". But, does it makes me "natural" because I've developed G major first? No, I don't think it does. But I think it makes me feel very connected to guitar, especially after you've described it that way, Pebber, like a guitar is an G instrument. Now I feel like I guessed it from the beginning. Thank you Pebber.

But this brings out the question for me... maybe I get philosophical here as anywhere else beyond normal, but is it more guitar-oriented to start from a key that is more guitar-oriented, than to start from any key that is actually music-oriented? And any key is music-oriented. Bach's "well tempered piano" deals with all keys equally. Why couldn't we look at a guitar as a "well tempered instrument" as it is? Most people have that "idiomatic" approach to an instrument, like mechanics of an instrument makes the rules how an instrument should be played. And how "true" mechanics of an instrument are well known to regular guys?

Using all knowledge you can collect, personal exploration is the key to unlock true secrets...

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
656 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly